PDA

View Full Version : Symbolism in Poe's works

helsteeling
03-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Hi all,

I'm a photography student in the U.K, I'm currently coming towards the end of my three year degree. For my final major project, I have been exploring the notions of water when used for its symbolic attributes within creative disciplines. I am extremely interested in the works of Poe, however, I know very little about his vast and deep collections. I want specifically to research his inclusion and interpretation of water within his work, particularly in relation to its memorial symbolism. I am having difficulty in knowing where to start, and so was wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction of either specific work of his, or of good critical reviews and analysis published elsewhere, or any recommended website for the deconstruction of literary symbolism.
I would be most grateful if anyone would be able to help me.
Regards
Helen

genoveva
11-12-2006, 02:52 AM
Hmm..interesting project! I've read limited Poe, and can't think of anything with water and memorial symbolism. Maybe rain in the Fall of the House of Usher?? But I don't think it has memorial symbolism. Good Luck!

Quoth-the-Raven
11-12-2006, 02:14 PM
You posted your question in March, so you've probably finished your project by now -- but for what it's worth: arguably the most famous reference in Poe to "water" is from Annabel Lee:

For the moon never beams without bringing me dreams
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And the stars never rise but I see the bright eyes
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride,
In her sepulchre there by the sea--
In her tomb by the side of the sea.

The sea in the poem works in opposition to the sky and heaven. Other references to "water" or the sea rather include "Night's Plutonian shore" in "The Raven" or "the dim lake of Auber" in "Ulalume".

I am not sure to what extent water is a significant symbol in Poe. Lovecraft would be more interesting in that respect :)

Regards,

Raven.