PDA

View Full Version : Beowulf and Grendel

Eva Marina
03-23-2006, 07:32 AM
Has anyone heard of the movie coming out based on the poem? called Beowulf and Grendel, with Gerard Butler, Sarah Polley, and Stellan Skarsgård? I've heard that it's released in Canada, Iceland, and the UK but it doesn't have a US promoter. :confused: :mad: Hmm...it's also been made very clear to me that it is NOT the poem but rather a take on what inspired the poem. :D

Virgil
03-23-2006, 08:08 AM
It might be based on the novel by a fellow named John Gardner. Here's a link to something that talks about it. http://www.grendel.org/grendel/gardner.html

Eva Marina
03-23-2006, 03:52 PM
There's another book that I've seen popping up around the forums for the movie (particularly the one at imdb.com) with the same name by John Grisby.
I think it's really interesting to see a novel out there from Grendel's POV, and then also this movie coming out as a sort of backwards-basis for the poem.

Stanislaw
04-06-2006, 12:45 PM
There is also the chriton...Eaters of the Dead...made into the movie The 13th warrior...Thats a cool beowulf twist.

I am kind of curious about the new movie, I hope it is as good as the trailers.

The old Christopher Lambert, quaisi parralel futuristic Beowulf was really odd, I liked it, but als thought it was bizarre. Anybody else see it?

cuppajoe_9
09-18-2006, 12:21 AM
I watched the prologue they wrote specifically for the movie in my English Lit class. It was rubbish. The Icelandic scenery was incredibly beautiful, though.

cuppajoe_9
09-18-2006, 12:27 AM
This just in : there is a new animated Beowulf movie in post-production as we speak. Robert Zemeckis directed, and it stars Alan Ritchson as Beowulf, Crispin Glover (!) as Grendel and Anthony Hopkins as Hrothgar. It's set for release next year.

vili
09-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Note that the animated film (or actually "performance captured" film, a la Zemeckis's earlier The Polar Express) is also scripted by Roger Avary (Quentin Tarantino's co-writer for many films) and Neil Gaiman (the Sandman graphic novel series, among other things). And angelia Jolie will apparently play Grendel's mom. :D

Beowulf seems to be in these days. There is also going to be yet another live action film next year (Beowulf: Prince of the Geats), and of course there is also that American Grendel opera that has made some headlines this summer.

aeroport
09-18-2006, 04:23 PM
A Grendel opera? Well, now I've heard it all, I suppose. Angelina Jolie as mother of Grendel (and Dagny Taggart on top of that, by the way, folks)? What sort of world is this? That's cool, though, about Anthony Hopkins playing Hrothgar. I will have to see that, if it comes around over here.

vili
09-19-2006, 02:41 AM
I would actually have been pretty interested in seeing the Grendel opera. Unfortunately, I live a little over 10,000 kilometers (some 6,200 miles) from the nearest performance.

The opera is actually based on the John Gardner novel Grendel. Another work that uses the book as the basis is the Australian animated film Grendel Grendel Grendel. I wonder if anyone here has read the novel, seen the opera, or watched the film? I've been wanting to do all of those, but the availability of these particular items where I live is not exactly great.

aeroport
09-20-2006, 01:07 AM
My friend read the book a while back, and says its one of his favorites, but I've not read much Gardner beyond "The Art of Fiction".

Virgil
09-20-2006, 06:25 AM
My friend read the book a while back, and says its one of his favorites, but I've not read much Gardner beyond "The Art of Fiction".

I used to keep The Art of Fiction very close to me. It is the best book I have ever found that describes what fiction is. It was my Bible for learning to write stories.

aeroport
09-21-2006, 12:06 AM
I used to keep The Art of Fiction very close to me. It is the best book I have ever found that describes what fiction is. It was my Bible for learning to write stories.

I agree. I have perhaps a dozen or so Writers Digest books, but they all add to just so much tripe next to Mr. Gardner's work. It is the only writing book I've come across that feels like it was written by someone who CARES about writing.

Virgil
09-21-2006, 12:49 AM
I agree. I have perhaps a dozen or so Writers Digest books, but they all add to just so much tripe next to Mr. Gardner's work. It is the only writing book I've come across that feels like it was written by someone who CARES about writing.

Hey we've got some similar tastes there, James.:thumbs_up How's your head by the way? Have you considered a new avatar?:D

aeroport
09-21-2006, 12:37 PM
Thought about it, but I am too lazy. Someday. It healed quite a while ago, actually; I guess everyone must have had the impression that I was still staggering about like a wounded animal. Not for a few months.