PDA

View Full Version : Austen's presentation of power relationships

gRynfIre
03-17-2006, 05:35 PM
hi, i'm really stuck at a dead end with an essay on how Austen presented power relationships. i have no idea how to get this done so pls pls pls can anyone help me!

mrslizzydarcy
03-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Hi there.

I'm a geek. I write essays on Austen for fun. So if some of these ideas make no sense, I'm sorry, some facts about the culture etc I've known so long I forget that not everyone knows them. (I just realized that could sound really pompous, I'm really not! Ask me an algebra or science question and my 9 year old brother could help you better than I!)

Anyway, your paper. First of all, have you read the book? Because if you haven't GO READ IT! Basically, they're asking you if Austen thought power relationships (I'm defining a power relationship as one where one person has all the power) were good or bad. "A marriage, where either partner cannot love and respect the other, that cannot be agreable" (not sure if that's from the movie or the book).

Look at Darcy and Bingley, Darcy was the more powerful, both in wealth status and intelligence, he used these things to manipulate his friend, severely hurting their friendship. It wasn't till Darcy realized that he needed to treat Bingley as an equal and let him make his own decisions that their relationship became what it should be.

Hope this gives you some ideas. I'd love to read your essay if you post it when it's done.