PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it!

Sindhu
10-31-2003, 02:24 AM
I don't get it- I really don't- Is there really a problem with having a forum entitled Religious texts instead of just The Bible? Surely, there can only be a better understanding if we include discussions on as many faiths as possible? If there is an alternativeinterpretation which spells PROBLEM, would someone PLEASE tell me what it is? I'm honestly puzzled- 'm sure we have people from all faiths in this forum, including atheists- and WHY exactly should't they all speak in this section? Clarify, PLEASE!

Isagel
10-31-2003, 04:47 AM
I agree, but I see that in some way this change really offends some peolpe.

I do not mean to be offensive. I do not want to force my opinions on anybody. I just really do not understand what the problem is. But since Iīm not a believer there might be someting that I just donīt understand. Perhaps one solution would be to have one forum for the Bible and one for other religious texts. but I would miss not having the Bible there.

Sindhu
10-31-2003, 05:00 AM
Yes, you are right, Isagel. If anyone is really upset/ offended by the change, then it would be an ideal solution to have one section for the Bible and another for other religious texts. Personally I do NOT see the point of such exclusivism, but I don't mind it in the least, all I wanted was a space where other religious texts could be talked about. And I do hope that if Admin decides to hve such a separate section, it will be acceptable to all if the Bible is sometimes mentioned there for purposes of comparison and contrast as it would be very incomplete otherwise.
And Please, everyone- surely there's room enough for all of us without being afraid of stepping on each others toes all the time? :D

Jay
10-31-2003, 05:50 AM
Why making differences among religions? Why should one religion have a part of the forum and the other religion another one? You know, it kinda reminds me of "our is the better one". Having different threads in the forum is fine, but why distinguishing them to that extreme? Okay, now I might "a little" over-react, I admit, but you see my point? You still can go and talk just about Bible, or whatever and you don't have to even spend a second reading/posting to the ones you're not interested in...

Sindhu
10-31-2003, 06:00 AM
oh, I think you and I are saying exactly the same thing Jay, Ido NOT want separate sections for different religions, which is why I waspleased about the change to Religious Texts. But obviously some people are upset- and I want to avoid that if possible. The problem with an exclusive title, now that you bring it up, is that when you have one called Shakespeareand one called General Lit, you obviously post only about Shakespeare in that section. Same for a section titled Bible- there are invisible walls, I simply would not feel OK about posting about the Ramayana in there! A religious texts section is definitely the best thing in my opinion, but if it is REALLY important to people to have a section reserved for the Bible, then I don't have a problem with that. Obviously, attitudes and priorities differ and unless reallly pushed to the wall I would prefer the path of no confrontation. So if two sections makes someone happy, well and good though I personally do not find it the ideal state of affairs.

Jay
10-31-2003, 06:10 AM
But that's exatly the paradox here: then the ones who were upset about Admit making some of the members happy with Religious Texts, why should he then make other members happy with TWO topics??? Won't that be caving in? Okay, I admit, I'm a little ... ehm, not in the right mood to state my point calmly :oops: sorry

Sindhu
10-31-2003, 10:49 PM
I've sent you a PM jay! ;)

Koa
11-03-2003, 02:23 PM
I don't think anyone was offended. Just throwing a bit of criticism, maybe surprise, but I think and hope that being offended is something else. I've never been to bothered about this forum but thinking about it I see it makes much more sense now... there are Indians around, they might be not Christians, to make an example... There are people who are just interested in religions, whichever one... This solution is right in my opinion :)

(but I must add in the same way I don't see why separate English literature from foreign literature as i'ts being suggested somewhere else...)

Jay
11-03-2003, 02:30 PM
Ehm, got it Sindhu, sorry, not enough time to respond...

Still the same opinion though: making differences about religion's not good, next what, forum for blue-eyed? Okay, still not that calm enough to post more...

Dyrwen
11-05-2003, 01:13 AM
If other religions care to be discussed, they deserve a place to do so.

Although, admittedly in my experience, most other religions don't care to debate, discuss, or push their possibilities of their religion on anyone else. It appears that Christianity just feel they're right, and must find a way to tell the world, even if it involves questioning their beliefs and pushing them on others.

I never went into this forum when it was called "Bible" because I felt no purpose to do so. I find the Bible as a false scripture of fairy tales and guidance, so why would I enter a forum about it? Probably to debate it, but if it's with people who live their lives for the "Bible" in a forum, then it's probably going to get stacked against you quick and not worth the time and inquiry.

Equal representation. Just glad to see it. :) heh.. not like I've got ANY religious texts.

Jay
11-05-2003, 12:34 PM
When the forum was called the Bible I really didn't know why to go there, same reasons Dyrwen listed, just went there when I noticed Ab posting there and I was curious what he said there.

Koa
11-05-2003, 04:23 PM
Yeah kinda the same for me...peeped in to see what was going on here... I was quite happy to see discussions and not just people claiming how good it is to be a believer... of course I was glad to see people on this forum are really as good as I thought, at least as I said they know what they're talking about, not just like blind followers...