PDA

View Full Version : Thesis Help

PrideHelp
03-16-2006, 10:16 PM
could someone help my think of a thesis for pride and prejudice along the lines of marriage

Virgil
03-16-2006, 10:42 PM
She got married.

The Unnamable
03-17-2006, 12:35 AM
“Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other, or ever so similar before-hand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always contrive to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life.''
Charlotte Lucas
Chapter 6

“Without thinking highly either of men or of matrimony, marriage had always been her object; it was the only honourable provision for well-educated young women of small fortune, and however uncertain of giving happiness, must be their pleasantest preservative from want.”

About Charlotte Lucas
Chapter 22

Are the men in Jane Austen merely representations of the different fates in store for women? Is happiness in marriage entirely a matter of chance?

chmpman
03-17-2006, 02:23 AM
My you are a generous fellow.

mrslizzydarcy
03-17-2006, 06:29 PM
"HAD Elizabeth's opinion been all drawn from her own family, she could not have formed a very pleasing picture of conjugal felicity or domestic comfort. Her father, captivated by youth and beauty, and that appearance of good humour which youth and beauty generally give, had married a woman whose weak understanding and illiberal mind had, very early in their marriage, put an end to all real affection for her. Respect, esteem, and confidence had vanished for ever; and all his views of domestic happiness were overthrown."

What hurts a marriage? What is necesary for a healthy marriage?

The Unnamable
03-17-2006, 09:59 PM
You should include the bit that comes just after the part you quoted. It’s great:

“To his wife he was very little otherwise indebted, than as her ignorance and folly had contributed to his amusement. This is not the sort of happiness which a man would in general wish to owe to his wife; but where other powers of entertainment are wanting, the true philosopher will derive benefit from such as are given.”

Virgil
03-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Is [/I] happiness in marriage entirely a matter of chance?
Hmmm. I don't have Pride and Prejudice at my finger tips; there is certanly an element of what you say. But I do remember one of the sisters choosing to run off with a soldier or sailor (?). That suggests choice - bad choice. I haven't read it recently, so what do others think?

The Unnamable
03-18-2006, 02:37 AM
Hmmm. I don't have Pride and Prejudice at my finger tips; there is certanly an element of what you say. But I do remember one of the sisters choosing to run off with a soldier or sailor (?). That suggests choice - bad choice. I haven't read it recently, so what do others think?
Lydia runs off with Wickham. I wasn’t suggesting there is no choice – the question was simply meant to stimulate a discussion for the poster in search of a ‘thesis’. I was not offering an ‘answer’ but a possible question to explore. This is why I also added, “Is happiness in marriage entirely a matter of chance?” Charlotte probably wants to believe so because that makes her dreadful marriage to the appalling Collins seem less of a terrible mistake. Lydia is just a silly tart who uses her heaving breasts to attract a man who is certainly interested in little more about her. Is there anything more to her? I don’t think Austen would have agreed with Charlotte.

mrslizzydarcy
03-18-2006, 10:53 AM
I thought about it. But it is so specific I didn't think it would add to the thesis idea. It is one of Austen's best though I agree.