PDA

View Full Version : Question about a line~

NuMbAA
03-16-2006, 07:03 PM
There are two lines that I don't fully understand in the scene of Mercutio's death.

"Why the devil came you between us? I was hurt under your arm." "I thought all for the best."

Can someone explain to me what this means? I'd appreciate it. ^^

Xamonas Chegwe
03-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Mercutio is saying that Romeo's intervention in the fight distracted him and that that was why he was mortally wounded - that it was when Romeo's arm was raised between him and Tybalt (to try and stop the fight) that the killing blow came. Romeo replies that he thought he was doing the right thing - stopping the fight and saving both his friend and the cousin of Juliet (who by then he is in love with).

Mace Sin
03-16-2006, 07:18 PM
There are two lines that I don't fully understand in the scene of Mercutio's death.

"Why the devil came you between us? I was hurt under your arm." "I thought all for the best."

Can someone explain to me what this means? I'd appreciate it. ^^

I think it's because of Romeo, that Mercutio was distracted, and that this gave Tybalt the chance to inflict the fatal blow. This explains the first line.

The second line is more or less Romeo saying, "Whoa, dude! I was tryin' to help, don't hassle me."

NuMbAA
03-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Thanks you two, that was basically what I thought, I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks again~ ^^