View Full Version : The mental construction of reality

Chava
03-12-2006, 12:49 PM
"The mental construction of reality"

know the feeling?

pan_is_dead
03-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Oh, yes, as in..."

Wait, hold on -- what the hell are you talking about?

Virgil
03-12-2006, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't have put as crudely as Pan, but I don't know either.

ElizabethSewall
03-12-2006, 02:29 PM
If it is your own feeling Chava I may understand what you mean. Reality is nothing but a subjective representation which differs according to each human being.
I sometimes feel myself out of it since I don't always share other people "mental construction" of reality. Or maybe it is them who are out of mine... :confused: I think it's both! ;)

If that's a quotation I'm afraid I don't know where it comes from. :blush:

Charles Darnay
03-12-2006, 04:04 PM
If it is your own feeling Chava I may understand what you mean. Reality is nothing but a subjective representation which differs according to each human being.
I sometimes feel myself out of it since I don't always share other people "mental construction" of reality. Or maybe it is them who are out of mine... :confused: I think it's both! ;)

I can definatly relate to that feeling!
I like to think that if I have one opinion and the world has another, I am the one who is wrong and yet I'm right for being wrong..... if that makes any sense.

ElizabethSewall
03-12-2006, 04:07 PM
I can definatly relate to that feeling!
I like to think that if I have one opinion and the world has another, I am the one who is wrong and yet I'm right for being wrong..... if that makes any sense.
It does! :nod:
Glad to meet you by the way.

bluevictim
03-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Ever since before I can remember, there have been times when I would convince myself that my whole life is an elaborate practical joke -- that all of my beliefs, all of my thoughts, all of my experiences, everything I take for granted are all part of a well-executed ruse, and someday everyone I know will come up to me and say, "we got you good!". If that were to happen, I wonder if I would give up all of my beliefs? I wonder if I ought to give up those beliefs?

Anyways, I hope you're all having a good laugh.

Chava
03-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Wow, replies!
Well, the quote, though it's origin be unknown to me is an open question. You have to interpret it. What do you think that "The mental construction of reality" is? I have my answer, let's hear yours.

Countess
03-13-2006, 06:25 PM
I was thinking "the mental construction..." and "feeling" are two different things! (Thinking v/s feeling).

I think it's probably referencing how it is we come to know reality; aka the origin of epistomology, which dates back to the Greeks and includes how the mind classifies "things" , what "things" are, etc.

I'm not very fluid today. Sorry. T

Stanislaw
03-13-2006, 07:19 PM
I have to agree that the construction of reality is pretty mental.

AimusSage
03-14-2006, 06:57 PM
We see what we want to see. that to me is what defines the mental construction of reality. Reality in this context is subjective. Perceived differently by everyone. So if you don't like your life, change your perception of it, reality will change with it, and you'll like your life more. Obviously easier said then done.

What to me defines the mental construction of reality is the thinking versus feeling aspect countess mentioned. It is the result of our thoughts and feelings. People will always either focus more on thinking or feeling with extremes such as an emotional crybaby or a calculation rationalist. Their frame of mind defines their reality. They see their surroundings and their mind puts it into a reality for them, based on their thoughts and feelings.

Or some such thing. My reality is skewed anyway.

vinide
03-16-2006, 02:52 AM
REALITY.
think about time. which in fact doesn't exist.
think how everyone feels different in time perceptions. then you have a good idea of mental construction.
i think we are just systems of machines working, like any other animal. with the difference that our brain works much more and in millions of ways. so we create imagination, we think about all the thinkable, we suppose (animals don't suppose), and so on. everyone of us creates, so one single world that is specific only to that one. it is the same world of other people, but just thought in slightly different colours.
when we die, that moment one mental world with all its colours vanishes in the void. the real world, with all its atoms going around, stay always there...

woeful painter
03-16-2006, 05:43 AM
my mental construction of reality is as always...far from as percieved by almost the whole population of the world. I am always thought of as having my "own world". perhaps this is due to my incapacity to mentally construct the normal definition of reality like everybody else, even if reality itself is relative from person to person. schizophrenia...the suffrage is bitterly sweet...

Geoffrey
03-16-2006, 11:44 AM
Its logical that reality is dependent on the one who perceives it. Though, to an extent we all see things the same, being of the same species.
My reality oft feels far different from those around me though. It's possible to believe anything and to make anything real. All of this though, is what creates strain in my ability to communicate with most people.

Chava
03-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Here's my own reply:

We build a world for ourselves, based on our impressions to make sense of our surroundings. When Adam Savage once said “I reject reality, and substitute it with my own”, (the oh so proffessional "Mythbusters" :)) he practically nailed the essence of our mental construction, whether he meant to or not. Essentially everyone perceives things differently, due to our individual paradigms.
All observation is a result of a mental process, and the way we think, what we think and what we perceive has always been a result of this paradigm. The paradigm is based on how we have been brought up, and what we have been taught. We look up at the sky, the world is turning below us, but if you lie down on a field and try to look down at the stars below you, or when you are walking, picture that it is your movement which turns the world, then suddenly, radically, and only for a short moment your paradigm has been shifted. You have constructed a different reality.
We have in short, taken our known reality, and substituted it for our own adapted version. It works!

byquist
03-26-2006, 01:09 PM
As Bobby McFerrin sings, "Don't worry, Be happy." Not so easy, but good idea to touch it at least once a day. Then twice a day, until maybe continuous someday, from mountaintop to mountaintop with very few valleys.

Union Jack
03-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Works such as The Fall, Waiting for Godot, and One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich come to mind.

Master Niklaus
04-12-2006, 12:45 PM
What about empericism, all our thoughts and reality are created from our experiences. So the mind set of reality would be different to every person because everyone has different experiences. The perception of one person to another differs a lot. And as for all of us being the same species and seeing the same thing I think is quite unknown. What I see as green you could see as my blue, yet since we have been brought up calling my green, green and your blue, green, we dont know the difference of what we see.
I think time exists, it is a constant. For I can remember this morning and five minutes ago yet I am not there, but here in the now. If time didnt exist I would be in all of them at once. Which I think if time were a dimension thats what it would look like. Kurt Vonnegut talked about that in "The Sirens Of Titan", That a man just looks like one long catepillar with baby legs at one end and old shrivled legs at the other, and what we are in now is just a segment of the catepillar moving towards the enevitable end.