PDA

View Full Version : a hard time in finding examples for...

LustyObserver
03-05-2006, 11:35 PM
Hi!

I have a hard time trying to find examples for Hamlet, where he is a tragic figure, which functions as an instrument of suffering to others. How did the suffering brought upon others contributes to the tragic vision of the theme?

Hamlet is a tragic hero.

I do not want to make the theme to be revenge even though that is what hamlet is set to do. Can the theme be "when revenge arrives injustice proceed"?

Who did hamlet involve?
The characters that i picked out is Ophelia and Laertes. i need a 3rd character as an example.[please help]

Ophelia because she is feeble--her ability to form stronger willed-power is even tougher when she lost her father, Polonius while her brother is away. She was being used by everyone-her father, Claudius & the Queen, and even Hamlet when he puts on the scene of "madness" while he was being snooped. Hamlet also physically abused Ophelia when they were alone---"expression his depression".

wb asap
I said, "10q!"
You replied, "You Welcome!"
Bye!

wooo
04-03-2006, 04:09 PM
i am sorry, i am bit baffelled by your post, but to the best of my ability i will attempt to tell you what i think. the oxford compainion to english literature tells me that hamlet is a play in which the hero refuses or hestitates to follow convention, i think it you are able to think that revenge isnt the prevailing theme of hamlet but infact the process that hamlet goes thro' to reach the end is. the process doesnt just revolve around revennge but on hamlets reaction to grief or his belief about life etc. the things that happen to hamlet change him- this is probably most important in my opinion. he is a tragic figure because of the revenge. Because he can not alter his course. part of revenge tragedy is that the hero is to be destoryed, that they can see their fate but can do nothing to prevent it. therefore is tragic.
sorry this may seem like useless waffelling but it made sense inside my head!!!

maybe add polonius to your list- he is murdered by hamlet. this is tragic although some think that he may have deserved it, i believe the problem lies in his inability to see the concequences of what he is doing- spying. therefore he can not lter his course because he can not understand it.
or Gertrude- she is changed by her talk with hamlet, in a version of the play i went to see recently at the end she knew she was drinking poision and carried on, this is tragic because she knows what she is doing and longs for the end because she can not cope with the inner termoil that hamlet has brought about by confronting her about the choices she made when decidign to marry claudius.