PDA

View Full Version : Shakespere Trouble

WhimsySA
03-04-2006, 07:35 AM
I need to know why We all still read shakespere.
Give me your opinions please!!!! :D

I really need your help!

WhimsySA
03-04-2006, 08:17 AM
Please Reply!!!!

The Unnamable
03-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Give me your opinions please!!!! :D

I really need your help!
There have been numerous explanations offered.
Ben Jonson said, “He was not of an age but for all time.” The basis of this belief is that Shakespeare has dramatised universal aspects of human experience and captured the essence of what we are.

One objection to this idea is how can we know he is for all time given that history has not yet reached an end. Perhaps we still share the preoccupations of his plays and so continue to find them relevant but it might also be that each age simply reinterprets the plays in light of its own concerns. This approach would suggest that the Shakespeare we read now is not the same as the Shakespeare of Elizabethan England or of the nineteenth century and so on.

Some commentators have argued that we still read Shakespeare because he has been appropriated as a powerful symbol of the superiority of western culture. In other words, his continued significance is political.

If you are asking for the purposes of tackling an assignment, then you will probably have to focus on the first idea, perhaps with a nod to the second.

byquist
03-06-2006, 02:58 AM
He's smart.

Harold Bloom, the critic, says we can't think outside of his framework; that he "invented us;" that we all are mini-Hamlets in one form or another. Perhaps Emily Dickinson got outside Shakespeare-like thinking, and also Mary Baker Eddy, both of who read plenty of Shakespeare. Both happen to be women also, which might or might not mean anything.

Nightshade
03-06-2006, 03:15 AM
Because at school we dont get a choice? ANd youd get mobbed if Heavens! you ever admitted that you thorolly dislike shakespear and think his charcters stink :nod: :p;).

I Would say because he has -what do you call it- oh yes universal themes. Jealousy, grief maddness, ( and most of all ) Murder blood guts, justice hope , evil good maddness trust treachury.. Also if you think about it nearly all of the plays are developedd and meated out pre exsisting legends historical facts and folk tales.
And really hes not that old I mean people stil read the Illyad, dont they?

:D

byquist
03-06-2006, 03:43 AM
Plus, on the positive side, the subject of "love" was uppermost in his attentions.

ClaesGefvenberg
03-06-2006, 04:23 PM
In my opinion it's quite simple, really: His works are still worth reading. It may be that his works are set in a world long gone, but people are still the same. The mindsets of his characters are still very much alive.

I just reread the taming of the shrew, btw. :nod:

/Claes

Selena Lupin
05-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Because he knows what he is talking about in all things english class. He also knows how more than one character can manipulate a single mind. He's just cool.

Get into shakespeare by watching THE REDUCED SHAKESPEARE COMPANY: THE COMPLETE WORKS OF SHAKESPEARE ABRIDGED. Adam Long, Reed Martian and Austin Tichnor are the best at making everything real. fun.

Selena Lupin
05-03-2006, 05:39 PM
He also knokws how to fill everything with sex, blood and humour at the same times. In school, they make us read the stupid stuff. Romeo and Juliet are emo kids, Julius Ceaser is just lame. There are tragedies galore here and very little other things, because the comedies aren't funny being read aloud, and the histories aren't funny, witty or interesting. Ever. Yeah

RobinHood3000
05-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Get into shakespeare by watching THE REDUCED SHAKESPEARE COMPANY: THE COMPLETE WORKS OF SHAKESPEARE ABRIDGED. Adam Long, Reed Martian and Austin Tichnor are the best at making everything real. fun.Hee hee--seen it. Not by the original company, alas, but still very funny. "THE BIBLE: THE COMPLETE WORKS OF GOD ABRIDGED" was better, at least in terms of the actors performing it when I saw it.

Shakespeare proves that sex and violence are universal attractors, and can even appeal to the sophisticated. By comparison, those who attempt to sell sex and violence nowadays get snubbed by the priggish. Which artists are the more skilled? I think that speaks for itself.