PDA

View Full Version : 10/10 for Wilde's short stories

Night Stalker
03-03-2006, 11:12 AM
When someone says Oscar Wilde most people automatically think of "The picture of Dorian Grey" or "The importantance of being earnest". However, I think Wilde's short stories such as "The Nightingale and the Rose" are just as amazing. Many people don't like short stories because there isnt alot of reading material, but Wilde's short stories carry really deep, meeaningful messages. I never thought I'd cry at a 12page story, but "The Nightingale and the Rose" moved me so much! So definantly 10/10 for Wilde's short stories!!

Virgil
03-03-2006, 11:26 AM
OK, you've piqued my interest. I'll try to read it this weekend.

Xamonas Chegwe
03-03-2006, 01:32 PM
The Canterville ghost is very good too - and equally as emotionally moving.

bluevictim
03-03-2006, 04:51 PM
I agree. I've never really understood popular culture's fascination with The Picture of Dorian Gray. I think Wilde's short stories are far superior; TPODG always seemed to me like a poorly stretched out short story.

Herr Herr
06-26-2006, 05:14 AM
I concur. "The Nightingale and the Rose" is one of my favourite stories, as well as "The Selfish Giant".

zhang
09-26-2006, 03:13 AM
I have no idea what the story is about. But the title is intriguing. I'll try to look for it.

Janine
10-31-2006, 02:44 PM
His "fairytales" are amazing, too! So much symbolism. First thing I ever read by Wilde. Probably wrote them for his child/children(?), but actually very adult.

Turk
10-31-2006, 02:51 PM
Those two stories reminds me old folk tales.

Janine
10-31-2006, 10:50 PM
"The Selfish Giant" has always been my favorite...so much symbolism. Wonderful material for an illustrator. I have a complete book of his fairytales/short stories....all are wonderful! I need to reread them again. It has been a long time, but you never forget them and their imagery. Lovely!

Nevaeh
01-04-2007, 11:57 PM
hello everybody! I'm new to this but I've read most of the posts and was very interested, so I decided to pick up a book full of Oscar Wilde's short stories and I've read about 4 of them, I've read "The Young King", "The Birthday of the Infanta", "The Fisherman and his Soul", and "The Star Child". After reading these 4, I've been trying to figure out how these 4 stories relate considering that they were written and dedicated to Mary. Does anybody have any idea? It'd be great if someone could reply! =) thanks in advance!

soumyakans
04-28-2007, 10:07 AM
i completely agree with you that Oscar Wilde is a prolific writer. He has an unmatched sense of classy humour. Each of his short stories is a gem by itself. i particularly enjoyed reading "The selfish giant" and "The Canterville ghost".
i also suggest that you read his poetry (the short poems, especially). You will also enjoy reading his plays - "The importance of being Earnest" and "A woman of no importance".
i would also like to tell you that i never get bored of reading Wilde's works over and over again.

morgane
05-04-2007, 02:49 PM
I completely agree with everything that has been said in this thread!
I am currently reading Wilde's short stories. I already knew some of them because I used to have an audio recording of them that I would listen to every day. And now that I am actually reading them, I realize that I have not forgotten them at all! These stories might be directed to children but an adult can very well read them too, and learn a lot about human nature, as Wilde is always so prone to satirize the worst aspects of men and society.
I agree with you: the imagery is unforgettable, and everyone should read these short stories.

Karamela
05-21-2007, 06:56 PM
His short stories are too brilliant, so moving and emotional and oh so pretty.

I adored the 'Selfish Gaint'; 'The Happy Prince' & 'The Nightingale and the Rose' most. Though the others I read were as beautiful, meaningfull & thought provoking.

oscar wild
07-17-2007, 10:38 AM
When someone says Oscar Wilde most people automatically think of "The picture of Dorian Grey" or "The importantance of being earnest". However, I think Wilde's short stories such as "The Nightingale and the Rose" are just as amazing. Many people don't like short stories because there isnt alot of reading material, but Wilde's short stories carry really deep, meeaningful messages. I never thought I'd cry at a 12page story, but "The Nightingale and the Rose" moved me so much! So definantly 10/10 for Wilde's short stories!!

me too, the nightingale and the rose is very very sad,
the four best stroies in my list will be the happy prince, the nightingale and the rose, the finsherman and his soul and the devoted friend
though the remarkable rocket made me laugh so hard:D

Janine
07-23-2007, 05:59 PM
So what has happened to this thread? I have checked out the other Oscar Wilde short story thread, but nothing seems to be happening in there either. I am a bit confused. Seems like there is no plan on either thread....hummm.....can someone fill me in on this? I would read the stories, if I know which ones were going to be discussed. Wouldn't it be better to take one at a time, anyway?

Himal
10-03-2007, 01:59 AM
Yes I agree with you.Though wilde's essays are immensely intellectual and carries wit,his short stories too are really praiseworthy.I had to teach " The Nightangale and the Rose'" to my students of eighth gread.I really enjoyed the story.

Cien
01-14-2008, 07:55 PM
I cried when reading The Nightingale and the Rose, The Selfish Giant, and The Happy Prince. I think Wilde knew he had the power to evoke tears, and I think he got tired of it. It seems like he was trying to manipulate emotions in these stories... his real fascination seemed to be lies and aesthetics. I believe that his stories are excellent, but especially so in the context of what came after.

Erichtho
02-25-2008, 07:07 PM
I liked Dorian Gray, so I decided to read his fariy tales and stories. Rarely have I found a more pleasing writing style, I agree that those stories are gems, each on its own. They are quite, quite wonderful. :nod:

subterranean
02-17-2009, 07:27 AM
I had an ironic smile after reading The Nightingale and The Rose. A scholar who risked and let himself to be overcome by love but end up learning it the hard way. The Happy Prince left a bitter feeling in my heart. Those stories are today's reality, captured by Wilde years and years ago. Such a fine description of the human world.

Wilde woman
02-17-2009, 08:21 AM
However, I think Wilde's short stories such as "The Nightingale and the Rose" are just as amazing. Many people don't like short stories because there isnt alot of reading material, but Wilde's short stories carry really deep, meeaningful messages. I never thought I'd cry at a 12page story, but "The Nightingale and the Rose" moved me so much! So definantly 10/10 for Wilde's short stories!!

I completely agree. His short stories read so much like fairy tales, but they're all infused with his brilliant prose and tragic tone so that they end up making a really deep impression. I was moved to tears by both "the nightingale and the rose" and "the happy prince". In these short stories, his writing has such a timeless quality to it that, IMO, contrast so sharply with Dorian Gray and his plays (perhaps with the exception of Salome).

But my favorite short story is Lord Arthur Saville's Crime. You can see soooooo many precursors of Dorian Gray there that it's really interesting to see how much he developed the novel seemingly out of the short story.

Has anyone read Wilde's poetry? The one that jumps to mind is, of course, the "Ballad of Reading Gaol" which Wilde wrote while imprisoned for his alleged affair with Lord Alfred Douglas. It's so tragically beautiful. But some of his shorter poems are absolute gems as well. He has such a way with words. *sigh*

subterranean
02-18-2009, 04:47 PM
I completely agree. His short stories read so much like fairy tales, but they're all infused with his brilliant prose and tragic tone so that they end up making a really deep impression. I was moved to tears by both "the nightingale and the rose" and "the happy prince". In these short stories, his writing has such a timeless quality to it that, IMO, contrast so sharply with Dorian Gray and his plays (perhaps with the exception of Salome).

Hi, WW. Did you mean to say that his plays in general are not as timeless in quality compare to his short stories? His significance in the literature world is marked by his plays, not the short stories (IMO).

Wilde woman
02-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Hi, WW. Did you mean to say that his plays in general are not as timeless in quality compare to his short stories? His significance in the literature world is marked by his plays, not the short stories (IMO).

No. By "timeless" I meant that universal fairy-tale quality that Wilde achieves in his short stories. Not "timeless" as in classic or thematically significant. For instance, I feel like "the nightingale and the rose" could take place anywhere, at any time. Whereas Wilde's plays, I feel, are always set in a very specific time period.

But I agree with you that Wilde's influence in the literary is based mostly on his plays.

subterranean
02-18-2009, 05:47 PM
No. By "timeless" I meant that universal fairy-tale quality that Wilde achieves in his short stories. Not "timeless" as in classic or thematically significant. For instance, I feel like "the nightingale and the rose" could take place anywhere, at any time. Whereas Wilde's plays, I feel, are always set in a very specific time period.

But I agree with you that Wilde's influence in the literary is based mostly on his plays.

Ah, ok! Yes, I agree with you then; it is indeed timeless. Like I wrote earlier:

Those stories are today's reality, captured by Wilde years and years ago.

Cheers!