PDA

View Full Version : Heyy!! Can som1 one help me?

Dilu
02-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Heyy Any1 Can some one tell wat "when we two parted" by lord byron is really about? becz some say that she left him without tellin him and others say that she went because she had cheated on another man pleeeese som1 any1 send me an analysis of ur opinion on this poem pleeeese :confused:

Destini
02-27-2006, 06:57 PM
This may sound very weird, but I, surprisingly, think that it is about his half-sister Augusta Leigh, which he named his only duaghter after. He had an affair with her up until his wife found out, one of the many reasons that is said to have caused their divorce.

Quoted from The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Seventh Edition;Volume 2:

"Often as a result of female initiative rather than his own, Byron entered into a sequence of liaisons with ladies of fashion. One of these, the flamboyant and eccentric young Lady Caroline Lamb, caused him so much distress by her persuit and public tantrums that Byron turned for relief to marriage with Annabella Milbanke, who was in every way Lady Caroline's opposite, for she was naive, unworldly, intellectual (with a special passion for mathematics), and not a little priggish. This ill-starred marriage produced a daughter (Augusta Ada) and many scenes in which Byron, goaded by financial difficulties, behaved so frantically that his wife suspected his sanity; after only one year of marriage, the union ended in a legal separation. The final blow came when Lady Byron discovered her husband's incestuous relations with his half-sister, Augusta Leigh. The two had been raised apart, so that they were almost strangers when they met as adults. Byron's affection for his sister, however guilty, was genuine and endured all through his life. This affair proved a delicious morsel even to the jaded palate of the dissolute Regency society."

southerngirl322
04-04-2006, 11:24 PM
:nod: I agree with Destini.....the affair with his sister was what drove him from England. I think he actually told his mother/aunt-in-law about it, like it wasn't a big deal! The poem seems to be speaking directly about the forced departure of Byron from society and his homeland. I honestly don't think he was a bit ashamed of his actions....he would have continued the affair had it not been a big "NO NO" :brow: Very talented but very strange guy!