PDA

View Full Version : Which character did you pity the most?

Pensive
02-23-2006, 11:03 AM
While thinking about the sufferings of characters, I thought that which character from "Wuthering Heights" did you pity the most?

I pity nearly each of them.

Hareton, for being treated so badly by Heathcliff.

Linton, whose mother died so young and he was a weak poor creature. Even his father did not show his love for him.

Cathy, whose mother died on the day she was born and things were also difficult for her.

Isabella, who was treated badly by Heathcliff and had a miserable life after marrying him.

Hindley, who did not get the love of his father and hated Heathcliff but when Heathcliff was in power, he was the centre of heathcliff's revenge.

Catherine, who married the "wrong" person, whom she should not have married. She belonged to heathcliff. According to her, there souls were the same.

Heathcliff, who suffered from childhood to the death and had not seen his true parents and was spoilt by Mr. Earnshaw.

Ellen Dean, who was locked by Heathcliff with Cathy and bore a lot of difficulities.

But for one, I felt the most pity and it was Edgar Linton
He was betrayed by his wife. His daughter and sister fell into the arms of Heathcliff. I felt really bad for him.

What about you guys? Which character did you pity the most?

sdr4jc
02-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Heathcliff is a byronic hero, which means that the book is written in a manner that causes the reader to feel strange sympathy for him. Notice Lockwood's comment at the very beginning regarding how he must have dealt with a lot of things in life to make him so cold...it's really interesting from a literary standpoint. And Edgar is Heathcliff's foil, but he certainly has his share of heartache.

Greenbunny
04-05-2006, 10:10 AM
i always felt the worst for isabella

Pensive
04-05-2006, 11:03 AM
I think that Isabella was not sensible enough to run away like that, so I don't have any pity for her.

Virgil
04-05-2006, 12:46 PM
For me hareton, for being raised like a savage.

Greyjoy
04-08-2006, 11:23 AM
For me It has to be Heathcliff, He was in complete agony under Hindleys Tyranny, Was always cold shoulder by people as a lad for being a 'Gypsy' or a 'Devil' and was betrayed by Cathy for Power and Wealth I mean theres no quote in the novel colder than Catherines one about not Wedding Heathcliff due to his Status in my eyes, He also deals badly with Catherines death (The scene with the body being one of the best In Writing history IMO) Then just to rub salt into the wounds his Son is his complete opposite while his rival Hindleys son is like a Mirror Image of a younger uncorrupted Heathcliff, And by the ned of the Novel the only person who mourns him Ironically enough is his Rivals son.
The Lockwood quote at the novel's beginning as sdr4jc says is prehaps the best way to sum up Heathcliffs life.

I Feel the least pity for Hindley and Edgar.

millerg
04-27-2006, 05:01 PM
You should pity Hindley by far the most of any character in the novel. Hindley lost his wife, Frances at an early age. That is like losing his best friend. His life then sadly, took a turn for the worst and resorted to alchol and violence.
Hindley has a son that hates him. We can all thank Heathcliff for that. He taught Haerton to hate his father and to curse at him. Hindley looks like he beats Haerton when all he is trying to do is discipline him and earn some respect.
After all of this drama Hindley dies after a miserable life. He needs the pity.

millerg
04-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Isabella doesn't need any pity

RachelT
04-28-2006, 12:45 PM
The character I pity most is Isabella Linton. From childhood she was a pampered, spoiled, rich kid. As she grew older, she began to fall in love with Heathcliff. Everybody began to hate her for this, especially Catherine who was jealous. She had to run off with him to get married because of this fact. Heathcliff would no longer keep her spoiled and pampered, as she used to be. Now she would be abused both physically and mentally by him, nothing at all like the way she used to live. She couldn't run away for fear, so she just had to take all the abuse. She tried to get some relieve by writing a note to Nelly to bring her brother so she could talk to him. He wouldn't even come to see her. Isabella also grew very ill and died shortly after her son, Linton's birth. She never got to see how he grew up or what became of him. Therefore I pity Isabella the most.

jadams
04-28-2006, 04:16 PM
I'd say the character in wuthering heights that I pity the most would have to be poor, little hareton earnshaw. As a child, little hareton's father beats him in his drunken rages. Then, it only gets worse. When poor Hareton meets Heathcliff, he is convinced that he should begin cursing at his father which only makes things much, much worse. When Hareton's abusive father, hindley dies, you would think things would get better for him but of course they don't. He becomes Heathcliff's personal slave and yet beaten worse by Heathcliff than by his father. Talk about a rotten life!

staub09
04-29-2006, 07:57 AM
To me the character that I pity the most would definately have to be Isabella Linton. As a child and young adult she got everything she ever wanted because of her rich family. Now that she is older though she begins to look for other things in her life like marrage and children. Then comes along Healthcliff. Isabella slowly starts to fall in love with him not knowing that he does not love her back. They get married and it all goes downhill from there. Her brother Edgar Linton won't even talk to her because she has married his enemy, and he says that they are only related by name. That would be horrible if your own brother wouldn't even come see you or talk to you because you married the man you loved which happened to be his enemy. Then once her and Healthcliff have elpoed they move to the dark Wuthering Heights. Not to long after she is there Healthcliff starts to abuse her both mentally and physically. The only reason that he has married her is to help get his revenge, he doesn't care at all about her. She then becomes ill so she moves away to London where she gives birth to a baby boy named Linton. She dies not too long after that not knowing what will happen to her little Linton. As a result Isabella all her lif after her marriage had to live in fear and poverty. Wondering if she would ever make it through all the beatings from Heathcliff and then wondering what will happen to Linton. Isabella never got to enjoy a happy marriage where everything was happy, and have a celebration with family and friends that really cared. Some people say she could have left Healthcliff when he was mistreating her, but she really loved him and it is hard to leave someone you really love. That is why I would have to say Isabella is the character that I pity the most.

Pensive
04-29-2006, 11:22 AM
I think that Isabella needs not to be pitied. It was she, who left Edgar. She had a choice. She was warned that Heathcliff was not a man for her but she did not pay any heed to it. She was foolish enough to leave her brother for the sake of Heathcliff. Now don't tell me that in love a person is insane that's why she left even her brother. Didn't she love her brother? Her action shows that she did not love her brother with whom she spent her whole childhood. I think that she was attracted by Heathcliff's appearence....probably it was lust not love. (I can't be sure about it) but what I want to say that the action she did was extremely foolish.

RachelT, You says that she was a pampered child in her childhood but the thing is that she was not a kid when she accepted the proposal of Heathcliff. She was not a two years old, but a mature young woman, who should have known that what was better for her or what wasn't.

emily_jean
04-30-2006, 01:59 PM
I think the character that should be pitied is def. Hareton. He grew up without a father, but being raised by Nelly. Heathcliff, as Hareton grew older, began to teach Hareton to cuss at his father, basically teaching him to hate him. Hareton then became the slave to Heathcliff and Linton. Hareton never new what a true loving family was, seeing that he grew up in an abusive house, and his father pretty much dumped him into Nelly's arms to raise, making no attempt to learn about his son.

griffinc
04-30-2006, 08:50 PM
In the book there are many characters who should be pitied. However, I feel Hareton Earnshaw should be the most pitied. Heathcliff taught Hareton to hate his father and to cuss at him and also made him his slave. Growing up, Hareton basically didn't have a father. He was always drunk and came in, in drunken rages. He was practically dumped upon Nelly, for her to raise him. Poor Hareton never really got to experience how a real family works.

gabbardt
04-30-2006, 08:53 PM
In the book Wuthering Heights so far I would have to say the character that I would have to pity the most is Heathcliff. There are many reasons on which to pity this character but the main one for me is his childhood. Heathcliff as a child did not Know his mom and dad for he was adopted. Then as he got older he fell in love with Catherine, who later on chose a different man to marry (Edgar). Then Catherine died. Also I pity him for in his life he really only loved Catherine. He thought of his own son as property and as a servant. These reasons are the reasons I believe Heathcliff should be pitied the most

gabbardt
04-30-2006, 08:55 PM
I agree with millerg

Krista
04-30-2006, 08:58 PM
I believe the character in the novel that should be pitied the most is Isabella Linton. During her youth Isabella has everything she needs and wants at her fingertips. When she matures and becomes an adult though, she wants more for her life. She then starts falling for Heathcliff, who she does not know at the time, doesn't really love her. After marrying him though, her own brother (Edgar) claims that she has disowned him by marrying his enemy. After the marriage, Heathcliff begins to abuse her since the only reason he has married her is to get his revenge on Edgar who has married his one true love, Catherine. Isabella eventually becomes ill and moves away to London where she gives birth to her son, Linton. She then passes away shortly afterward. Not once in Isabella's life, was she able to find real happiness. She basically had everything when she was young, but money cannot buy happiness. She was not able to experience a happy marriage either. Everyone looks at marriage as one of the best things that can happen in your life however her marriage to Heathcliff turned out to be a lie. The one good thing that came out of her marriage was her son, who she did not even get the privilege of raising.

weareallwitness
04-30-2006, 10:06 PM
I think that i would have to feel sorry for Hareton the most because he has been raised by a man in heathcliff who has wanted revenge on his father and had gone throught Hareton to do so. Hareton had nothing to do with Hindley and Heathcliff's fight but still he was caught in the middle of them. Plus these actions have been taught by Heathcliff and Hareton doesn't know any better so he thinks he is doing nothing wrong by cursing at his father. :brow:

Bekah09
04-30-2006, 10:21 PM
I have the most pity for Isabella Linton. She was spoon fed her entire childhood. She was rich and spoiled. As she grows up, she wants more and more for her life. She thinks Heathcliff would be a perfect addition. To her, he seems like a nice man with a decent amount of money. This wasn't the real Heathcliff at all. He made it look like he loved Isabella when he really didn't. After marrying this man who doesn't even love her, her brother (Edgar) accuses her of disowning him by marrying his greatest enemy. A little while into the marriage, Heathcliff begins abusing Isabella mentally and physically. This is all a part of his planned revenge on Edgar for marrying Catherine, the true love of Heathcliff's life. After becoming ill, Isabella moves to London where she gives birth to her only child, Linton. Soon after this she died. As you can see Isabella's life started out on top of a hill and quickly worked it's way down. In her youth she thought she was happy and had it all. Then as she grew older her life went down the drain. Her marriage was a lie, she was blamed for no longer having contact with her brother, and she had a child who she didn't even get the chance to raise.

ccraig
04-30-2006, 10:27 PM
I hate to pity people, especially fictional people. I would pity Nelly for having to put up with the whole family and their pathetic issues. Since Nelly doesn't appear to play a vital role I guess I'll have to go with millerg and pity Hindley. He should be pitied the most because his father loved his foster brother more than him, his wife dies, his sister goes crazy, then dies, he becomes a drunk and a gambler, his son hates him, and his enemy gains control of his house and property after his death. I believe those reason are good enough. If you disagree, then that is your own problem.

TarynM
05-01-2006, 06:52 AM
I pity Edgar the most. His whole life with Catherine was a lie. She never fullheartedly loved him. She always had a piece of her heart that belonged to Heathcliff. I couldn't imagine living with a person I love and not having them love me with all their heart. I think it was extremely hurtful to Edgar that she liked Heathcliff. Edgar knew she did and he could tell everytime the two were together.

TarynM
05-01-2006, 07:06 AM
I pity Edgar the most. His whole life with Catherine was a lie. She never fullheartedly loved him. She always had a piece of her heart that belonged to Heathcliff. I couldn't imagine living with a person I love and not having them love me with all their heart. I think it was extremely hurtful to Edgar that she liked Heathcliff. Edgar knew she did and he could tell everytime the two were together.

I also pity Edgar because all of the people he lost in his lifetime. His parents died which i think would be unbearable. Then he lost Catherine. Right before Catherine died she had a baby named Cathy. So not only did Edgar lose a loved one he also had to raise a child by himself.

Another reason i pity Edgar is because the relationship he had with his sister. He didn't talk to Isabella after she married Heathcliff. He hated Heathcliff and Isabella knew that. So they never made up before she died. When she died Edgar went to get his nephew,Linton. Edgar loved his nephew and wanted to care for him, but Heathcliff took him away.

It seems like everytime Edgar has something good it gets taken away. So I pity Edagr the most because of all the hardships he experienced.

agodman
05-01-2006, 10:26 AM
In the novel Wuthering Heights, many people are hurt and many people die. A lot of the characters are pitied. The character whom I pity the most would have to Hareton. Poor little Hareton lives a very rough life. His mother dies right after he is born. Since his mother is not there to take care of him, he is left in the supervision of his father. Hindley is not a very good father and wants nothing to do with his son. After his wife dies, he has nobody to turn to and becomes an alcoholic and and also addicted to gambling. Nelly is good to Hareton until she has to leave with Catherine. Hareton is then left with Heathcliff who teaches him to curse and to hate his father. All throughout Hareton's life at Wuthering Heights, Heathcliff abuses Hareton and treats him as his slave. Hareton is mistreated for nothing he did himself. Hareton's innocence is what makes me pity him the most.

marsha-irene
05-01-2006, 12:49 PM
:goof: I think that the pity ( or a greater majority of it) should go towards poor heathcliff. Think waht you will, but that is my opinion. All of his life he has endured hardships brought on by the people whom he grew up with. He had to take all of the beatings that Hindley bestowed upon him as a child, and even as an adult. Heathcliff would not be as he is if he were shown kindness as a child. The same thing happened to Hareton; he only knows hatered, so that is what he gives. All of the ugly things that Heathcliff has done were because Hindley induced them. Heathcliff would be a fine gentleman if he were shown kindness, and if his love had loved and accepted him for who he is. Catherine, nor Isabella for that matter, get no pity from me.
:banana:

dholland4
05-01-2006, 02:28 PM
The character I pity most is Haerton, because he is abused by his father and once his father dies he is under control of his uncle.

ethan__john
05-01-2006, 04:53 PM
The character that I pity the most is Heathcliff. Its the rejection of others that led him into the abyss of violence. He is the victim of everyone's actions, he should be pitied not the ones who made him a terrible man.

marsha-irene
05-01-2006, 05:08 PM
I agree with Ethan all the way!!! Woohoo!!! Go Ethan!!! ha ha ha!!!
:banana: heh heh!! "I like to move-it move-it!!!"

Moriah_2009
05-01-2006, 05:34 PM
3Dark OrchidCourier New
All the characters in the book Wuthering Heights have pretty sucky lives and they should all be pitied! But the one character i pity the most is Hareton. His father was a crazy drunk and tried to kill him. Also his mother is dead so he has no one but his father to take care of him. Once his father dies he is left in the care of Heathcliff who uses him as a servant boy and mistreats him greatly. Also poor Hareton gets made fun of by Linton and Cathy because he is illiterate. He cannot help that no one has taught him to read so they have no right to make fun of him! As you can see Hareton is the character who should be most pitied!

:nod:

amckinne1
05-01-2006, 08:26 PM
:bawling:The character I pity the most is Heathcliff. Yes, he's not a very good person, but he was never treated very well in the first place. Mrs. Earnshaw, Hindley, and countless other people all despised the poor orphan. He was miserable his entire life: he never knew his parents, everyone despised him, and the only person he ever loved and the only person who loved him back married someone else. He was in emotional pain untill the day he died.:bawling:

khaverbu
05-02-2006, 04:53 PM
I definitley pitty Edgar the most.Why because of the following.

His wife, sister, and parents all died before him.
His wife married him for all the wrong reasons such as money, looks etc.
His estate is lost because of Heathcliff and his manipulation.
He has to confide his daughter to the Grange, infear that she might be corupted by Heathcliff and the others at Wuthering Heights.
His daughter marries the son of his greatest enemy.

So now that you no my opinion I would be very pleased if you wrote me back. Preferably MIssy Hicks. :

khaverbu
05-02-2006, 04:55 PM
I bet u do.

kcheese26
05-02-2006, 11:00 PM
In the novel Wuthering Heights, I pity Heathcliff the most. Ever since the beginning, i felt sorry for him just knowing that he never had a chance with the woman he loved the most. Nothing he could do would make it alright for him and Catherine to be together. What are the odds of your father adopting the man of your dreams? This is why i pity him, it has to be upsetting to know that you can do nothing in you power to get what you want. It must have been even worse seeing her everyday in his life. She was being dangled in front of him, and he couldn't grab her, because they were siblings. Especially when Catherine and Edgar gat together, Heathcliff knows that she likes him back, but she has to go with another man because she has no choice at all. He and Isabella got together though, and some feelings were there, but it wasn't the same. I definately pity Heathcliff the most because of him love problems that he shares with Catherine.

kcheese26
05-02-2006, 11:15 PM
In the novel Wuthering Heights, the character that i pity the most would have to be Heathcliff. He never has the chance to be with the person that he loves the most, Catherine. Ever since Mr. Earnshaw took him in, he started to have feelings for her, and it was the same with catherine, she immediately had feelings for Heathcliff. I just can't imagine being adopted by the father of the woman that you will fall in love with. What ind of fate is that? He couldn't do one thing in his power to be with her forever, because they were somewhat siblings. On top of that, he had to see her everyday of his life, im sure that it hurt knowing that what you wanted was right there, you just couldn't have it. She was being dangled in front of him, and he could't do one thing about it. Then she went and married Edgar, for his money of course, and that must have hurt Heathcliff, the reality was setting in thet there wasn't a chanc e that they could be together. Then he got with Isabella, and there were feelings there, so at least he wasn't left all alone...for too long. I definately pity Heathcliff the most!

lauren1
05-03-2006, 11:17 AM
The character the most is Edgar because he lost so many people and was treated very badly and lived a lie because his wife was in love with Heathcliff.

wolfester
05-03-2006, 12:22 PM
:flare: Why do you think violence is an abyss Ethan John? it allows one to concentrate on an objective, then nuetralize it. I know you have to be more logical than that. but violence like all things can be taken too far, but being a little aggro is a'ight with me.

Kristin68
05-03-2006, 08:32 PM
I pity many of the characters in Wuthering Heights, however, I defienty pity Heathcliff the most. He was an orphan and abused by Hindley when brought to Wuthering Heights. He was madly in love with Catherine and could never be with her. After she died he was all alone.

cbowen91
05-04-2006, 09:49 PM
I pity Isabella Linton-Heathcliff the most, due to the abuse she suffered at the hand of her husband. Can u imagine loving someone more than anything or anyone in the world, even yourself, only to have that love returned by being his personal punching bag? Perhaps it is easier for me to sympathise with Isabella, because a friend of mine recently had the courage to end an abusive relationship she had been involved in for about a year and a half. Although I don't know exactly what it was like for her and millions of women enduring the same treatment, it's not hard to imagine their suffering.

One argument given against Isabella in class was "If Heathcliff was going to treat her so bad, why did she marry him? Why didn't she leave sooner?" It's not that simple! When someone is being abused, the abuser tells them things like, "If you leave me, I'll kill you", "I'll kill your family", "I'll tell everyone what a whore you are.", "No one would ever want you. I'm the only one out there who will put up with you." "U'll never survive without me". After hearing these things for so long, the victim begins to believe them. Wouldn't you?

In fact, most abusers show no signs of aggression towards their partners at the beginning. They wait until the relationship becomes more serious, or until they get married, as was Isabella's case. The majority put up a loving, caring respectful front to the rest of the world. It is when no one else is around that they show their true demenor. If you just happened to meet the aformentioned friend's ex-boyfriend on the street, you would have absolutly no clue how appalingly he treated her.

Violence against women is a problem that has existed in society for ages. What makes Isabella's case even more tragic, whereas today's women can seek help at battered women's shelters and similar organizations, is that she had no one to turn to and no where to go. Abuse was the norm and socially acceptable in that time period. Nearly every women would have been a victim of abuse in that time and age; if she had activally sought help, Isabella would have been told to shut up about it, it happens to everyone.

Isabella also had to give birth to the child of her abuser. Even though she fled to London to escape from Heathcliff, she couldn't escape his memory. Her son was with her at all times of the day, a constant reminder of the living hell she endured at Wuthering Heights.

Is anyone on here is a member of Myspace, I encourge you to join "Stop Violence Against Women" We currently have 1,074 members, but can always use more!

cbowen91
05-05-2006, 10:35 AM
I pity Nelly the most. I sit back sometimes while reading Wuthering Heights and think of all the strife she has seen in her days. She had to keep up with mischevious children. Then when they went insane from all the mishaps they had caused she practically had to "break her back" trying to supply them with what they needed most. It just wasn't one generation she worked with, either. If you think about it Nelly had a long and dulling life throughout Wuthering Heights.
( Ashley Wright's reply on Celisa's post)

weareallwitness
05-05-2006, 11:03 AM
I pity Isabella the most because she thought Heathcliff loved her, and he didn't, but he still married her. Then he uses her only to seek revenge on the Linton family. This would be an awful thing to go through, because she was in love, and Heathcliff wasn't, and she was taken advantage of the rest of her life.
-PJ :banana: :ladysman: :crash:

weareallwitness
05-05-2006, 11:16 AM
I pity Hindley the most, because once Heathcliff came into the Earnshaw household Hindley was looked down upon in a way. It was as if everyone loved Heathcliff and forgot that Hindley was part of the family. Then later on in the book Hindley allows Heathcliff to return to Wuthering Heights, but afterwards Heathcliff teaches Hareton to swear and curse at his father. And after Hindley dies Heathcliff turns Hareton into his personal little slaveboy. Finally, Hindley loses his loving wife driving him into drinking!
-♥Jeremy♥♣♠♪:wave: :nod: :banana: :eek2:

marsha-irene
05-08-2006, 01:16 PM
MRS. HICKS....THIS ISN'T MARSHA, IT'S ACTUALLY KATE L. I'M JUST BORROWING HER THINGY BECAUSE MINE WON'T WORK.... :crash:

The character I pity the most would have to be...Hareton. He grew up without a mother, and without a father we should say since his actual father didn't love him or anything. I have a little pity for Hindley, the way his wife died so suddenly, but that gave him no reason what so ever to treat Hareton the way he did. It was his own flesh and blood for pete's sake!! Hareton grew up in a mangy old house with his insane drunken father and a hypocritical old geezer. He had no friends and had never expirienced a good relationship. Heathcliff taught him from a young lad to hate his own father (which he probably didn't need any helping along on that, but still) He just had a horrible life. :( That is why I pity him.

~Kate :banana:

amanda_isabel
05-08-2006, 01:42 PM
i pity edgar linton the most... he dearly loved and married a woman who loved someone else.

dfick#23
05-08-2006, 07:54 PM
I pity Hareton the most for a variety of reasons. After his father dies Hareton must stay under the control of his uncle Heathcliff who is basically going insane. Hareton has no control over his life and is practically forced to stay with Heathcliff, where he is treated like a slave and is forced to do whatever Heathcliff desires. Heathcliff should be living a life of luxury, with the finest of everything and the best education but instead he is treated like a mere severent. Heathcliff's slow decline into a madman is very obvious and his cruel intentions are taken out on Hareton.

dfick#23
05-08-2006, 09:12 PM
I also pity Edgar because his wife never really loved him.

cbowen91
05-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Daniel, this is an English forum. At least you could try to spell pity correctly.

staub09
05-16-2006, 12:11 AM
I agree with you Celisa! After all you are suppose to be in the advanced english class

dfick#23
05-18-2006, 01:15 PM
I did spell "pity" correctly, and for you Staub, you need to learn how to spell "supposed" correctly.

dfick#23
05-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Staub I think you are a hypocrite.

staub09
05-20-2006, 10:19 PM
What the heck are you talking about Ficker I spelled suppose right. :confused:
You did spell pity wrong until you went in and edited it on the 18th. I'm not dumb. The post said last edited on 5-18-06 which is the same date you said you spelled it correctly.