PDA

View Full Version : Critical Analysis on Edgar Allan Poe

BassoonPatch
02-22-2006, 10:00 PM
Help?

I need to critique Edgar Allan Poe on a specific issue, of course, but which topic/stylistic device would prove more beneficial in anaylizing him? I'm having a hard time finding where to start.

Dei
02-26-2006, 12:49 AM
Hi BasoonPatch!
I once had to submit an analysis of Poe's tales and I found that you can actually connect Freud's theory of psychoanalysis with many of them.

TodHackett
02-26-2006, 01:01 AM
Daniel Hoffman, who wrote a book that won the National Book Award in 1981 (_Brotherly Love_-- HIGHLY trecommended) is obsessed with Poe. Enough so that he also wrote a book called (you just can't make this kind of **** up (well, maybe I can...)) _Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe_. It's a great read, and a finalist for the NBA as well.

As I recall, one of the most fascinating things Hoffman discusses is Poe's relationship to blood-- why his stories are so ostentationsly bloody, why he might have had a lot of experience with blood as both a child and an adult, what kind of things Poe associated with blood, etc.

This, incidentally, would dovetail REALLY well with the Freud reading that Dei suggested.

BassoonPatch
03-01-2006, 07:23 AM
Thank you!