PDA

View Full Version : Wordsworth:The Lucy Poems

Anthony Furze
02-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Im doing "She Dwelt Among the Untrodden Ways" with my students and I want to put the poem in the context of the other Lucy poems. Where can I find all the Lucy poems together?And any thought s on these poems?
Im hoping to make a bulletin board on Wordsworth. We re studying "Composed Upon Westminster Bridge in another class. (15/16 year olds)

Virgil
02-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Anthony - In the poem of the week thread, Monday is the day for a new poem. Would you like to post one of these there and we can discuss it all week?

Edit: On second thought, Anthony, those poems are so short, why not post them all here I (and I'm sure others) would love to discuss them.

The Unnamable
02-20-2006, 02:37 PM
The 'Lucy' poems:

'Strange Fits of Passion Have I Known';
'She Dwelt Among the Untrodden Ways';
'I Travelled Among Unknown Men';
'Three Years She Grew in Sun and Shower';
'A Slumber Did My Spirit Seal'.

Composed Upon Westminster Bridge is one of the few poems in which Wordsworth is moved by the atmosphere and beauty, not of the countryside, but of a city. The whole city of London is compared to a ‘mighty heart’ (the centre of life) which is hardly beating, it’s so still. As this is very early in the morning – as the air is at yet ‘smokeless’. The real heart of London will start thumping again very soon.

Anthony Furze
02-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks, Virgil and The Unnameable.The Monday post sounds like an ideal suggestion.Or any kind of discussion will, I am sure , help.
Thanks again.