PDA

View Full Version : 'The Mill on the Floss': Favorites

Scheherazade
02-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Who is your favorite character in The Mill on the Floss and why? What is your favorite quote/passage?

Book Club Procedures (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57103#post57103)

Pensive
02-12-2006, 01:23 AM
It is being difficult for me to choose between Maggie and Tom.

papayahed
03-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Wow, nobody voted?? I'm guessing I'd pick Bob. He seemed to be the nicest one of the bunch, and he made a nice living for himself - well I'm not sure about Lucy, she seemed ok too but we got to know more about Bob then Lucy.

Shea
03-27-2006, 05:21 PM
I just liked Maggie and kept feeling sorry for her because of the predicaments she would find herself in. It seemed as if all her problems and her reactions of them were caused by the opinions of the people around her. She was just trying to do what she felt was the right thing.

Scheherazade
03-27-2006, 06:40 PM
I think my perception of Maggie is a little different from yours, Shea. I thought she was desperate (too much so for her own good) to gain her father's and her brother's approval. From her childhood, her main motivation to be liked by them because of which I could not like her much... Having said that, I don't think I liked anyone much in this book! :p

emily655321
03-27-2006, 06:50 PM
I liked Gritty Moss. There just seemed to be so much love in that house, and always enough to go around, no matter how much trouble or how many people there were. I'd love to be the sort of person who could not only put up with eight kids and a failing farm, but still welcome family visitors with open arms and a kind word. Her husband seemed to be just as nice.