PDA

View Full Version : The Eyre Affair

lit-chick-lea
02-08-2006, 07:08 AM
I recently read the Eyre affair, this follows the ending of Jane Eyre where the novel has been invaded and Jane kidnapped just at the point where she returns to Rochester an rescues him from the fire.

I thought that this was fabulous and really illumitates the structre of Jane Eyre.

Has anyone else read this?

What did you think?

Kashkin
02-08-2006, 07:27 AM
And more importantly, I enjoyed it. I can't really comment on Jane Eyre, as although it's on my bookshelf I have yet to read it (it's on the ever growing list and will eventually be read). The series is just as good, really. I've read the next two, and I have the fourth book on my book shelf as well (slightly ahead of Jane Eyre on the list).

Recommended to all.

Hazel-Ra
02-08-2006, 09:10 AM
And more importantly, I enjoyed it. I can't really comment on Jane Eyre, as although it's on my bookshelf I have yet to read it (it's on the ever growing list and will eventually be read). The series is just as good, really. I've read the next two, and I have the fourth book on my book shelf as well (slightly ahead of Jane Eyre on the list).

Recommended to all.
I know exactly what you mean!! I have so many books I'd like to read, and even more I want to buy and read! How in God's name will I ever get through them all??!

Jane Eyre is fantastic; I highly recommend it. I haven't read the book you're discussing though.

Nisha
02-08-2006, 10:28 AM
I recently read the Eyre affair, this follows the ending of Jane Eyre where the novel has been invaded and Jane kidnapped just at the point where she returns to Rochester an rescues him from the fire.

I thought that this was fabulous and really illumitates the structre of Jane Eyre.

Has anyone else read this?

What did you think?

umm..Jane never actualy did save Rochester did she?I mean she meets him after the fire has ravaged everythng including his eye & arms. :confused:
So how is this book devoloped anyway? :brow:

cath e
03-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Yeh, thats tru its not in the main story i think they are talking about Jane Eyre with an altered ending. I must recoment it as it is one of the best books iv ever read! Im currently re reading it now in fact lol!!

dancingsilvacat
06-11-2006, 03:24 PM
This book you're talking about....could you give the name of the author?
Thanx

Dicentra
06-25-2006, 06:01 PM
This book you're talking about....could you give the name of the author?
Thanx

If you're asking about The Eyre Affair, it's by Jasper Fforde.

snowangel
06-25-2006, 06:10 PM
I read the Eyre Affair awhile ago, but from what I remember it bugged me because it felt like the author had no story of his own and (although I know Jasper Fforde couldn't realistically) it felt like the author was taking credit for Bronte's masterpiece. The former was confirmed when I tried but couldn't finish the second book in the series--the plot was just too thin.

Ponyfeathers
07-06-2006, 05:57 PM
I just finished the book last night. I thought it was very creative. (For those that havn't read it, basically Jane Eyre ends whith Jane going to India with St. John Rivers, and when she goes into the book to (I wont say why as to not spoil it) things go awry, and its just another take on the fire that burned down Thornfield). I just thought it was weird that its called the Eyre Affair, and nothing happened with Jane until like 2/3 through the book.
But it was very funny to read too. The sattire and puns and the dodos were very amusing. Hades was also fun too. I don't know what the other books in the series are, but this book was a good read to me.

Wendy
08-02-2006, 05:58 AM
Hello!

I'm a huge Jasper Fforde fan. The man is amazing. The Eyre Affair is only the first in the Thursday Next series (the fifth instalment is to come out July 2007) and it just gets better and better. I think there is quite enough plot and subplot int his book to fill another three. Jasper Fforde said himself that he always likes to have several side-plots cooking so it never gets boring. And it never does.

It's true, however, that Jane Eyre doesn't really appear until late in the book. The beginning is much more about Martin Chuzzlewit and Thursday's police work in general.
If you liked it but haven't read the other Thursday Next books, I highly recommend you do so. Literally everyone who's someone in classic literature is mentioned or made fun of - but in a nice way. You never feel that Fforde is being mean or having characters do anything that wouldn't fit their character.
There's Miss Havisham, Heathcliff and the entire "cast" of Wuthering Heights, there's Hamlet and the Red Queen from Wonderland and many more.

I can't wait for the next Next ;)

Nightshade
08-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Well how did I miss this? I loved the book but Sort of half gave up on the series after the well of lost plots. Im planning on picking up again ( hopefully ) though.

Someone sai that it was a must for all Jane eyre fans, now I hated Jane eyre with a vengence which is why I think I loved the book. It poked fun at Jane eyre fans and the book.
plus the whole scifi/fictional charcters becoming alive is oe of my fav genres.

BUt Miss Havasham and the cheshire Cat wree better charcters I think.:D

01Kathleen
09-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Hello...

I just read Jane Eyre...riveted to the book! The most wonderful story! Jane's character is so balanced and forthright and good. Ms. Bronte was sure able to create 'intense emotion' in a reader (some perhaps; I know in me) by how she wove tales in this book. I did not want the story to end. I don't understand, though...how or why would anyone not like the character Jane Eyre? Any word on this? The best part, I thought, of the book was her pure and true love for Mr. Rochester...and his for her. Ah, only in books.

Question...is there another book named The Eyre Affair? Or, is it one and the same, Jane Eyre by Bronte?

What a find is The Literature Network! A gift!

Thank you...Kathleen

Vertigo
11-11-2006, 01:29 PM
I read Jane Eyre too, I in fact love it, and now I have to do an essay about LOVE in Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, can anyone help me?

maggie yang
12-01-2006, 02:24 AM
I read Jane Eyre too, I in fact love it, and now I have to do an essay about LOVE in Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights, can anyone help me?

i just have finished an essay about Jane Eyre, my titlt is< Love vs Freedom>...i had spent two weeks on writing this essay...