PDA

View Full Version : sequel anyone?

longtimephan
01-30-2006, 11:11 PM
I've heard that Leroux wrote a sequel to The Phantom of the Opera . Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

MonaLisa
02-11-2006, 07:53 PM
I think what you may be thinking of is something called the opera ghost's friend by Donald Barthelme, the sequel was called the Secret of the yellow room which I believe was a room where the Phantom was to go to for an operation to change his face. It seems that the Phantom did not die three weeks after Christine left...........which leaves me to wonder if he faked his death, if Gaston Leroux made up the Phantom or what in the world really happened. As far as faking his death you have to think, he was probably considered responsible for the death of the Viscount's brother Phillipe, so I don't think he'd want anybody after him for that one......here is the website

jessamyn.com: Donald Barthelme : The Phantom of the Opera's Friend

Who really knows how long the phantom really lived, however I do believe he exisited.

Aaron S
02-18-2006, 01:56 PM
There is one also called ""Phantom of the Manhattan" which is supose to be the sequel to Webber's Phantom of the Opera musical http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312975856/ref=sib_rdr_dp/102-7961551-5736117?me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&no=283155&st=books&n=283155

Lum
02-28-2006, 02:24 PM
There are probably more than a dozen books that either continue or expand upon the story of the Phantom of the Opera. These are the one's I've read:

"Phantom of Manhattan"-Erik goes to New York, builds another opera house, scares Christine. 4/5

"Angel of the Opera"-Erik meets Sherlock Holmes during the original story, 5/5

"Phantom" by Susan Kay- Excellent story, prequel and during original story, focuses on Erik and the persian 5/5

"Redemption" by Annee Cartier- alternate universe retelling with Erik as a vampire, it's actually very interesting. 4/5

BleuUnicorn
02-28-2006, 03:41 PM
And, in the sequel I started but haven't finished, the movie Phantom was being followed and watched as he was following and watching. She steps out to save him from the crowd and take him off to a little better life. Since he's not as deformed as the original, it's much easier. Plus, I am the incurable romantice.

Patrix
06-28-2006, 10:12 AM
There are quite a few books out there writen on this subject.
From my personal research, the best to look up to are

1. "Phantom" by Susan Kay - a wonderufl follow up of the story of "Phantom of the Opera"
2. "Journey Of The Mask" by Nancy Hill Pettengill - a follow up of Kay's novel.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

avari
06-28-2006, 05:39 PM
the sequel was called the Secret of the yellow room which I believe was a room where the Phantom was to go to for an operation to change his face.

actually, leroux did write a novel called 'the mystery of the yellow room' but it has absolutely nothing to do with the phantom of the opera. it's a murder mystery in which a young woman is found dead in a room that no one could possibly have entered because all the entrances/exits were locked. it's a good book and I think it's also one of the very first (if not the first) locked-room mystery. leroux's character, joseph rouletabille (so named because his head is round and bald like a billiard ball), solves the mystery sherlock holmes-style.

and there are numerous poto spin-offs. I'd recommend 'phantom' by susan kay.

Philip J Riley
11-18-2006, 06:40 PM
I've heard that Leroux wrote a sequel to The Phantom of the Opera . Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Yes it exists! While I was writing my book on the Making of The Phantom of the Opera 1925 for Universal my research led me to the story, treatment and the partial screenplay. It will be the 6th book in my new series on Lost legendary classic horror films starting next year. The best material I found was given to me by Carl Laemmle Jr back in the 70s. He was going to produce it - but Chaney --well won't give too much away. It is with the approval of the Leroux family.

angelll
04-15-2007, 07:56 AM
hi!!I am an english literature student in turkey and i have just read the short story 'phantom of opera's friend' by Donald Barthelme but could not understand the theme of it:(can u please help me to find out the exact meaning of the story?ı'm very curious about it and want to learn more about the characters.thanks for help.

michellenap
12-06-2007, 03:49 PM
I don't think Gaston Leroux himself wrote a sequel...however the Phoenix of the Opera by Sadie Montgomery is fabulous and totally believable...READ IT! I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN!

SylvreRose
12-19-2008, 12:01 PM

Try reading "The Phantom of Manhattan" as it is a beautiful ending to "Opera"

SylvreRose
12-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Please locate "The Phantom of Manhattan" as I believe you will enjoy the ending.

Phangirl7
01-31-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't think there is a sequel to the original novel or else all the other crazy Phantom Phans like me would've already known about it!
However, there have been countless other sequels, but none to the Original novel.
At least, none that I know about.
A.G.