PDA

View Full Version : P and P

floridau
01-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Hey there I was wondering If anyone could assist me abit, Im not asking for all the answers but ive decided to write an essay on individualism for Pride and Prejudice, now what are examples of that in this novel:

-lizzy's choices to not marry for money
-women losing their individualism through marriage in a time when they did not have much say in society
-women marrying in a patriarchal society, that must give up their belongings to enter and lose them if the marriage does not work.

These are just a few examples but to be honest I'm stumped on this topic, any direction whatsoever would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Nightshade
01-28-2006, 05:44 PM
first off hello and welcome :wave:
Book aside I didnt think they owned anything- well except widows.
And then there is the argument that they all showed individuality, despite the resitrctions each one went about her life and here choices differently and I think at the end barring Mrs Bennet each one was more or less satsfied with her choices and desions, if not her options.
I think you need to have a working definition of individualism to start with.
:D

floridau
01-28-2006, 05:50 PM
K thanks, I know the topic choice was rather vague, it was present an argument about individualism in P & P, so it doesn't give me much to work on, I just feel like I have to be a super scholar to build on it because I'm not really sure what direction to take.

edit: definition of individualism could simply mean, having a choice in their lives, but I suppose your right in saying that they each went their own way in choosing what to do.

Nightshade
01-28-2006, 06:03 PM
NO what i mean is the vagueness can work in your favour. YOU decide what angle of individualism you want to purse and follow that.
Or divide it into possible meanings and jot down tiny points that can be expanded for each one. Then choose your favorite and let it take over your essay.
Put down your opinion and choose the angle you like and enjoy doing it, I found that brought out the best results in my essays.
And you don’t need to be a super scholar you just need to have an opinion, and everybody has an opinion on Austin whether you think they are trivial drip or deep meaningful universal ironic philosophy.
What does the word individualism mean to you? That’s the dfirst question you should be asking.

:D

Virgil
01-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey there I was wondering If anyone could assist me abit, Im not asking for all the answers but ive decided to write an essay on individualism for Pride and Prejudice, now what are examples of that in this novel:

-women losing their individualism through marriage in a time when they did not have much say in society
-women marrying in a patriarchal society, that must give up their belongings to enter and lose them if the marriage does not work.

These are just a few examples but to be honest I'm stumped on this topic, any direction whatsoever would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
I would check on the choices of each character in the novel, not just Liz. Look at her parents, especially and Darcy too. And of course her sisters. And then contrast it with Liz's individuality. You have to come out with a theme that unfies all the observations.

CrazyJane
01-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Yeah, about Lizzy's father, you can illustrate the fact that his invidualism has carried him to ignore and laugh at his wife and his daughters, whereas he should feel responsible for them.
Sorry, just a part of the analysist, but it's a limit which is inside the mind of the individualist, not in the society.

( please, correct my gramar and vocabulary mistakes, thx )

The Unnamable
01-29-2006, 10:31 AM

Women were allowed to own property and wealth but not easily. Emma is heiress to £30,000 and has an income from this fortune. I seem to remember being told that it would become hers on the death of her father.

Given the approach you’ve taken, these might be useful:

http://www.jasa.net.au/study/indivsoc.htm

http://www.uah.edu/colleges/liberal/education/S1998/jennyd.html#Financial%20pressure%20to%20marry