PDA

View Full Version : Dickens And Poverty

No One
01-23-2006, 06:08 PM
I have been reading Hard Times, and i noticed how well Dickens describes the poor, and in all of his books really. i want to know The Way Dickens depicted the poor, and how it relates to our own sociaty :D

Charles Darnay
01-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Dickens portrays English poverty in possibly a more realistic light than any other Victorian author (perhaps becasue he was part of it). Especially in Hard Times, Oliver Twist, Barnaby Rudge and many more but those are the ones that come to mind as most prominant, Dickens builds up sympathy for these heroes of the street while convincing the reader of the callousness of the aristocrats, the businessmen and any other Dickens' villain.
People mock Dickens's style, but no one, I feel, has been able to capture such powerful human nature in all his works. His characters are all amazing, so vivid that the reader begins to know them on a personal level by the end of the novel.

No One
01-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Thank you!

Darlin
01-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Just an aside, Dickens’s Bleak House is airing on PBS this month as a mini series. Btw, welcome to the forum No One. That's a very interesting avi you have. My daughter loves Siamese cats.

Darlin
01-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Didn't mean to double post! But since I did I have to add that the person who directed or produced the wonderful Pride and Prejudice is behind Bleak House. :)