PDA

View Full Version : child in "Introduction" to Songs of Innocence

KKeene
01-20-2006, 02:30 PM
I have looked all over the web for this but I have a research question due on Tuesday. My professor want to know who the "real life" inspiration is for the child in Blake's "Introduction" to Songs of Innocence. This is driving me crazy and I really need to find this article. If anyone could point me in the right direction or let me know of a good search engine for literary works I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Logos
01-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Hello KKeene :)

the following link has biographical information about Blake, which addresses two things that might be of interest:

"From early childhood, Blake spoke of having visions—at four he saw God "put his head to the window"; around age nine, while walking through the countryside, he saw a tree filled with angels."

and further:

"In addition to his wife, Blake also began training his younger brother Robert in drawing, painting, and engraving. Robert fell ill during the winter of 1787 and succumbed, probably to consumption. As Robert died, Blake saw his brother's spirit rise up through the ceiling, "clapping its hands for joy." He believed that Robert's spirit continued to visit him and later claimed that in a dream Robert taught him the printing method that he used in Songs of Innocence and other "illuminated" works."

http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/116