PDA

View Full Version : THe Feud

Catherine_Hermo
01-17-2006, 05:52 AM
I'm not very familiar about the story of Romeo and Juliet and we have a presentation about it next week I just want to ask what caused the two families' disagreement? I also want to know how Juliet fell in love with Romeo. Pls. don't laugh because I've only read summarized story of Romeo and Juliet. Thanx. =^_^=

HouseMDLvr
03-07-2006, 11:13 PM
Well one reason why you are probably asking why you cant seem to find it in the summarized version would be because it is not even in the book itself. SHakespeare never tells us why they feud has beeng going on and why it started. This is because of the element of Deus Machinus. (not sure if i spelled that right-means god's machine in latin). It is when the author depends on some ignorance from the reader to make a better story. MAybe if we knew why they were fighting we would pick sides, and maybe the author wants us to keep a neutral point of view to make the story more exciting and interesting.

Charles Darnay
03-08-2006, 12:14 AM
I would have to disagree with you. I think that Shakespeare knew that his audience would understand the casue of the feud - which, to answer the original question, is simply wealth and power. It was very common during the time, when power was controlled by wealthy families (such as the Montegues and Capulets), to see such families fihghthing for dominance in their town.