PDA

View Full Version : movie vs. novel

Jewels83
01-15-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm currently reading "Peter Pan" after seeing both the Disney version and the the new Peter Pan movie(NOt "Hook"!!).I just can't help laughing but i also lose track when it comes to certain paragraphs and words since English is not my mother tongue. I care less though; i just look up the words in the dictionary and i end up learning. But i always understand the humour and it's extremely intelligent and witty the way Barrie puts it. Many parts weren't brought up in both Peter Pan films; like the stars that talk "winking is the stars language"..it actually scared me when i read that part; i could almost hear them wispering in my ear even though i know they wouldn't have a voice because afterall they "wink"..But what i liked in the movies; especially the the latest one, is Peter Pan himself; i somehow communicated with him. The book doesn't explain the way he looks at Wendy for example; i felt that Peter is quite alienated from all the people around him including the lost boys. The book then becomes a book about neverland more than it being about "Peter" as a character. I wonder if anyone sees it like me..It's a concept..But i feel that i need to know more about Peter apart from the fact that he's as cocky as no one can be...But metaphorically; i think Peter is in the book simply to represent the idea of never growing up and that somehow Barrie was trying to make a statement about his mother neglect to him as a child; using Peter Pan.

TheLostGirl
03-27-2006, 04:52 PM
If you want to learn more about Peter you can read Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens which is more about Peter Pan than Neverland. I am currently reading the book and my favorite things i learned so far was the reason he crows :p and why he did not go back to the mainland and instead stayed in Neverland. Oh and why he can fly.