PDA

View Full Version : Help

ahighschoolgirl
01-13-2006, 09:17 PM
Hey everyone I need help finding information on a few things on William Shakespeare and that time period. I was wondering if anyone could give me a website or book or anything I could use as a research resource. I need atleast three sorces and my topics of chose for research are:
A:Shakespeare's Life
B: The Globe Theatre
C: Elizabethan costumes, sets, actors, theatres
D: Weapons that were used during the Renaissance time period
E: or 5 major events that occured in Europe during this time period
Even though the paper only has to be about 500 words long I want to get the best information I can find to make my paper interesting. Not to mention all this information is going together in different sections as a portfolio. Please and thank you for your help.

RobinHood3000
01-13-2006, 09:23 PM
en.wikipedia.org, though not a credible source, may be able to direct you to the appropriate scholarly links.

ahighschoolgirl
01-13-2006, 09:24 PM
O yea if anyone would like to descusse the book Romeo and Juliet with me just to make the book a little interesting to me it would be a great favor. thanks

RobinHood3000
01-13-2006, 09:43 PM
I imagine you'll find plenty of forumers willing to discuss Romeo and Juliet with you--anything in particular you'd like to discuss?

ahighschoolgirl
01-13-2006, 09:49 PM
nothing in particular just want to make it a little more interesting by seeing other peoples ideas and thoughts about it

Scrivener
01-18-2006, 12:19 AM
A friend suggested I refer you to Anthony Burgess', "Shakespeare."

I would also recommend a great book titled, "William Shakespeare & the Globe," by Aliki.

Charles Darnay
01-18-2006, 12:40 AM
A way to make Romeo and Juliet interesting.... realize that Romeo and Juliet were never in love, he was simply shallow and she was desperate and they found what they needed in each other. There is so many places to go with that thought, but really in my opinion, Romeo and Juliet is a nice play, all right to read, better to watch, but if you really want interesting Shakespear stick to Macbeth, Hemlet, Othello, King Lear, Twelth Night.... those are my personal favourites

Helen L
02-26-2006, 08:26 AM
go to your nearest libary and ask for the complete works of william shakespeare. it is one large book. it has lots of information about the time and has information on all of the things you are trying to reasurch.

mewize
03-02-2006, 01:15 AM
One could go on about things that happened during that time period. Francis Drake sailed around the world, King james commissioned a revised bible, Robert Devereux was tried for treason and executed, there is the Spanish armada, and, of course, yet another round of the black plague. Many times during Shakespeare's life the playhouses were closed: thus making his career avenue dismayingly tenuous. But he seems to have done just fine with his circumstances.

The Globe was built by Peter Street and his carpentry team. After a bitter struggle with their previous landlord who, as landlords do, atempted to raise the rent -James Burrbage died during the process. The Burbage brothers hit on the idea of dismantling The Theatre and moving it across the river to a new site near The Curtain. According to the deed, the landlord owned the land, but the building belonged to the Burrbages and their acting company. Thus, when the landlord sued, he lost in court

Of note is the fact that female parts had to be played by boy actors as women were not allowed to be actors. Ironically enough, however, Shakespeare's godson William Davanante actually employed the first female actor many years after Shakespeare's death.

I think the best way to enjoy Romeo And Juliet is to look not on it as a romance. in fact, Romeo and Juliet are the only ones in the story that have any romance whatsoever, while in A Midsummer Night's Dream everyone was in love with everyone else. In My mind, Mercutio is the show stealing oddity of the play- kinda like Shylock in The Merchant of Venice. Focus on him and you get the Queen Mab speach in Act I Scene iv, and then Act III scene i in the public place where unfortunately we lose him to Tybalt. Still I find him easier to relate to than Romeo.

wooo
04-03-2006, 04:46 PM
http://www.costumes.org/HISTORY/100pages/16thlinks.htm#General%2016th%20Century%20Costume%2 0Information
costume info. or any particular questions on costume just ask... i no a few things about costume.

jbotscharow
04-04-2006, 08:24 AM
See my reply to your other post. Also there are several excellent movie versions of the play itself. My favorite is the one from 1968 directed by Franco Zeffirelli because the actors were the right age! Excellent movie. Once you've seen the movie, the play should make more sense.

ed_olsen_gene
05-19-2006, 11:51 AM
http://absoluteshakespeare.com/trivia/faq/faq.htm
this should help...