PDA

View Full Version : Scientific questions and ethics as themes

Nightshade
01-11-2006, 07:45 AM
I bet no on looks at this, but I feel like discussing ERB, books and the scintific/psychlogical questions he can be seen as asking.
Like Nurture vs Nature in the tarzan series.
Or cloning and what is a soul in Monster men
or evoloution in The land the time forgot series
things like that.
I dont suppose anyone else would care to discuss it?
:D

mtpspur
07-18-2006, 02:24 AM
My head hurts. Where were you 30 years ago when C. Ma--- caught me reading The People that Time Forgot and never respected me for the rest of our time in High School?!! Prior to that she saw me reading the classics. At least she never found out me and Jim D> were passing Marvel comics back and forth.

There was a time when I thought Burroughs was the apex of adventure writers. In my growing middle age I'm finding rereading him painful--I've kept the Venus series for sentimental reasons but poor Carson Napier is no John Carter.

Truthfully I'm not the one to discuss science with. I have no aptitude for it. I thought Burroughs was a good idea man who (in hindsight) should have stopped at book five for any series. The Tarzans vary greatly in quality. (Would have been a masterpiece with books 1-2 and a great series stoping at Jungle Tales) Mars holds up better (except for Synthetic Men of Mars and Skeleton Men of Jupiter reads like a first draft or written for a quick check).

I mostly remember the social/love misunderstandings which eventually worked themselves out but the journey was great. For science though Master Mind of Mars appealed to me the best.

I'm rambling again--lost in memory of happer reading days.