PDA

View Full Version : 1984 and Radiohead

IWilKikU
10-20-2003, 09:02 PM
Radiohead's OK Computer was a concept album about 1984. I can see a direct reference/significance in almost every track except "Airbag." Can somebody shed some light on what "Airbag" has to do with 1984, if anything?

den
10-20-2003, 09:36 PM
Radiohad: "Airbag"

In the next world war
In a jackknifed juggernaut
I am born again

In the neon sign
Scrolling up and down
I am born again

In an interstellar burst
I am back to save the universe

In a deep deep sleep of the innocent
I am born again

In a fast german car
I'm amazed that I survived
An airbag saved my life

In an interstellar burst

In an interstellar burst

Hmmm yum, ;) gotta give it a listen again in this context...

AbdoRinbo
10-21-2003, 03:11 PM
No one listens to Radiohead anymore. :rolleyes:

crisaor
10-21-2003, 06:37 PM
I do. :D

AbdoRinbo
10-21-2003, 07:43 PM
Regardless, they're not as popular anymore. ;)

den
10-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Good.

Popculture bores the crap outta me. :P

Regardless, they're not as popular anymore. ;)

AbdoRinbo
10-21-2003, 07:50 PM
Actually, den, I was implying the very opposite. They've become 'pop', so they've lost most of their early, dedicated fans. They just suck now, that's all. They try too hard to be conceptual. I miss 'the Bends' and 'OK Computer'. :(

crisaor
10-22-2003, 10:26 AM
Same here. Kid A wasn't bad either. At least Hail to the Thief was an improvement compared with Amnesiac. Maybe they'll keep improving with their next album, hopefully :-? *crosses fingers*

Den, by "pop culture" I assume you're referring to what today is considered to be popular music (i.e. britney and the like). If that is so, I'm with you. Good pop music is hard to find this days. Where's the Police when you need them? Sting has become way too senile.

IWilKikU
10-23-2003, 08:10 AM
Actually, Kid A and Amnisiac were recorded in the same sessions, so the band really didn't change at all between the two albums. To say that one was more commercial than the other only would be applicable to advertising and marketing, not the music itself which is phenominal. Every Radiohead album has been original and expirimental, how interesting would it be if they released 6 albums that all sounded like OK Computer. I would agree that OK was their best album, but without progress and evolution, they would be another cliche band with a cliche sound.

den
10-23-2003, 05:02 PM
Indeed, by what today's standard definition of `popular culture' is: what sells the best, makes the most money, what rates the highest, what's flashiest, brightest, what stands out the most and what people like when they don't even have to think about, ie: the obvious. It just bores me.

The Police did become popular, and a lot of great meritable stuff does, it's inevitable with exposure. Most bands that I start out liking usually wane in my opinion and I pay less attention over the years. Radiohead are no different. People like them, they want more, so human nature and all they continue to perform and make albums, and are appreciated more and more. Even Pearl Jam sold out, and I didn't hate them because of it.

Thom Yorke is an amazing person, I admire him, I'd love to chat with him someday. He's done a lot of work with others, `behind the scenes' and collaborations etc, just like Brian Eno and Terry Gilliam. I come to like someone because I can identify with them, they are someone I think has the same values as me, `popular' or not.

Den, by "pop culture" I assume you're referring to what today is considered to be popular music (i.e. britney and the like). If that is so, I'm with you. Good pop music is hard to find this days. Where's the Police when you need them? Sting has become way too senile.

AbdoRinbo
10-23-2003, 05:18 PM
Thom Yorke is a moral snob.

fayefaye
10-24-2003, 08:57 AM
who's that?

den
10-24-2003, 11:52 AM
The singer for Radiohead. He's not the greatest looking guy, he's got the skinny anemic pasty guy look down pat, but damn you should hear his voice, he makes me cry. :P

AbdoRinbo
10-24-2003, 04:16 PM
Cry, l'ttle baby.

crisaor
10-26-2003, 04:41 PM
Actually, Kid A and Amnisiac were recorded in the same sessions, so the band really didn't change at all between the two albums.

I know, but have you heard both albums? It seems to me that after they finished the recording session, they took ALL the good songs to make Kid A, and some time later released the bad ones in Amnesiac. As I said, it sucks very much. Kid A's worst song is far superior than anything you could find in Amnesiac. I was deeply disppointed the first time I heard it.

The singer for Radiohead. He's not the greatest looking guy, he's got the skinny anemic pasty guy look down pat, but damn you should hear his voice, he makes me cry. :P

Don't forget his facial paralysis :o

IWilKikU
10-30-2003, 08:09 PM
I was deeply disappointed the first time I heard Kid A, and Amnisiac. Neither of them are jump up and grab you albums. They both are amazing in their expirimental nature. The difference is, Kid A's tracks are the ones that expirimented mainly with Electronics. Amnisiac's tracks (that rhymed! I should be a rapper.) deal more with instrumental effects rather than all out electronic music. Just compare Idioteque with Knives Out.

crisaor
11-04-2003, 02:38 PM
Neither of them are jump up and grab you albums. They both are amazing in their expirimental nature. The difference is, Kid A's tracks are the ones that expirimented mainly with Electronics. Amnisiac's tracks deal more with instrumental effects rather than all out electronic music. Just compare Idioteque with Knives Out.
That's a good analysis. I can agree with that.

(that rhymed! I should be a rapper.)
Please don't! there's more than enough already ;)

Munro
11-06-2003, 07:17 AM
Thom Yorke is a moral snob.

Now there's a sweeping statement. Could you explain why you think this? Just a short explanation.

IWilKikU, you'll find a load of references to Orwell's novels, mainly Nineteen Eighty-Four, on Radiohead's new album 'Hail to the Thief'. Thom Yorke wrote the lyrics during the build up to the Operation Oily Residue (of which he was an outspoken critic), which influenced his writing a great deal (he was supposedly reading a lot of Chomsky and listening to Radio 4 most of the time, as well as watching cable news a great deal). They avoided writing a political album, which Yorke said would "just turn out ****e", but the references are still there.

There's the opening track '2+2=5' - the title obviously is directly from Nineteen Eighty-Four, that has the lyrics

"It's the devil's way now
There is no way out
You can scream and you
can shout
It is too late now
Because

You have not been
paying attention"

Then there's 'Sit Down, Stand Up', the lyrics of which repeat, in a Big Brother-like way "Sit Down, Stand Up - we can wipe you out anytime."

Songs like 'The Gloaming' and 'We Suck Young Blood' also seem to allude to stolen elections and oppressive governments, but the album is full of these sorts of references.

From 'Kid A' maybe 'The National Anthem' echoes their political concerns, although probably not so directly from Orwell, I'm thinking mainly of the line that goes "Everyone has got the fear".

And in defence of the man's looks, I think his face has got character! It suits the band so perfectly, and while he may not be attractive in the typical way, I find that a distinct look is charming enough for me, and the facial paralysis goes with the anaemic, pasty faced melancholy Oxford geek appeal that I love about Radiohead's image.

AbdoRinbo
11-07-2003, 07:13 PM
After OK Computer, Thom Yorke was quoted saying he hated his fans and that being a celebrity was a total head****. What's more, he started criticizing the UN for refusing to grant amnesty to third-world countries, while at that time he himself was worth over 100 million dollars. He didn't deserve to represent those people. I don't believe that a prep-school rock star from Oxford could relate in any way to that kind of repression (which, for the same reason, is why I don't believe Americans should represent Natives even when defending their rights). Just my opinion, though.

shmendo
06-27-2004, 03:06 AM
you can't judge the weight of one man's burdens until you have carried them yourself.

meaning, who are you to judge...
not being mean, but he could have had a reason. not everyone sees things in the same light, and being that we live in america, news and stuff like that is pretty censored. actually, regardless of where you live it's pretty censored.

subterranean
06-27-2004, 09:16 PM
O GEEEE..i dont know that this thread exist ..

but maybe it was bit old to reply to this thread :(

vlad_drac
08-09-2004, 03:49 AM
Greetings all.

I can't say that i think there is direct connection between the two. It is certainly not a Dark Side of the Moon/Wizard of Oz like connection. Perhaps it is the mood of that album that is 1984. Listening to Sgt. Peppers the other day, i wondered if there was any conection between A Day in the Life & '84. I understand the lyrics from ADITL is from newspaper headlines, however music (not just lyrics) can be inspired from literature.

There is this comparison available, but i am not a fan of it;
http://www.followmearound.com/press/1984.html

As far as the Kid A/Amnesiac discussion goes, those two albums are both masterpieces. The songs on Kid A were not chosen because they were better, it was just because there was greater cohesion between the tracks. Amnesiac is not a b-sides album. Tell me a band who could put tracks like "Dollars & Cents", "I Might be Wrong" and "Knives Out" on a b-sides album?

Ok Computer is still the greatest album i will ever hear however.

subterranean
08-09-2004, 04:28 AM
I suppose you are one of those "the Bends and/or OK Computer" peeps...

Welcome on board anywayz

cheers

crisaor
08-10-2004, 12:20 PM
As far as the Kid A/Amnesiac discussion goes, those two albums are both masterpieces. The songs on Kid A were not chosen because they were better, it was just because there was greater cohesion between the tracks. Amnesiac is not a b-sides album. Tell me a band who could put tracks like "Dollars & Cents", "I Might be Wrong" and "Knives Out" on a b-sides album?
Quick response: The Beatles, Oasis.

seeker
09-30-2004, 10:01 PM
i only likes their song in the R†J movie, i thikn it was "talk show host"

bum bum, bwan nan, nan, nan.... bum bum

i can play that part woohoo!

subterranean
02-07-2005, 10:55 PM
2+2 = 5

"Don't question my authority"