PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Info on Dessessart

Dessessart
01-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Hello:

I just found this great place while doing a genealogy search. Looks to be very active, so I thought I'd check in. Does anyone have any info/knowledge/thoughts, etc on the origination of the character, M. Dessessart, in "The Three Musketeers?"

There was an actual Dessessart. He was a well-known (of his time) comedian, actor, politician, revolutionary. He helped to found the Comedie Francais & his portrait still hangs in the lobby there, as I understand it.

The Dessessart family ran in the same circles as Alexandre Dumas. They were both French w/heavy connection to St. Domingue. Both were of mixed race backgrounds & came from similar socio-economic worlds. I find it hard to believe that Dumas just pulled that name outta the hat to use it as the name for his Captain of the guards, D'Artagnan's superior.

"D'artagnan . . . he serves under Monsieur Dessessart.” [text quote]

I'm a professional writer & Dessessart descendant. My g-g-grandmother was an illegitimate daughter, in Louisiana, to one of the mentioned Dessessart's grandsons. Her name was Allecia Dessessarts -- by the time they came here & settled, the name was spelled in a variety of ways, but in Opelousas, LA, where they settled, it had taken on an extra "s."

The family has a fascinating history & I'd love to find the connection. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thx -- Linda Alexander

Schokokeks
01-09-2006, 10:44 AM
hi there,

in my copy of the Three Musqueteers, a French one, there's a register in the back listing all the persons occuring in the book that are based on historical figures.

Your Monsieur Dessessart was actually named Francois de Guillon des Essarts, he was as you already said captain of the guards of King Louis XIII. As it is also said in the book, he was the brother-in-law to Monsieur Arnauld-Jean Du Peyrer, comte de Tréville, who was himself captain of the Musketeers.
Maybe their real names might get you on with your search!
Good luck! ;)