PDA

View Full Version : HELP ASAP GEORGE ORWELL 1984

BLONDIE81
10-19-2003, 01:14 PM
Ok..... here it goes.... I have read the book dont get me wrong, but im a little blurry on what the inner party does, do they control the ministrys? and are the thought police party of the inner party or are they their own section??
PLEASE ANY ONE HELP WITH ALL OR ANY PART

fayefaye
11-24-2004, 12:24 AM
I don't know why I'm replying, and i have no intention of helping. (*****!) I am one of the few, the ignorant, who are yet to read 1984. I'm just replying because of nns mention of this thread. So here goes. Dragging it up from the abyss of old boring threads and whacking it right back up here.

Scheherazade
11-24-2004, 12:49 AM
So what happens now? :goof:

BSturdy
11-24-2004, 02:52 AM
The set-up is easily understood if you relate it to say Soviet Russia or Nazi Germany - or maybe to the political system you live in. The inner party are the political elite. The inner party control the ministries (where the outer party members like Winston work). The thought police are the police force and enforcement method of the inner party. The non-outer party workers are the proles.

Wladyslaw
12-10-2004, 12:39 PM
The thought police are the soviet kgb.

Jay
12-10-2004, 10:01 PM
I was thinking the same when reading 1984, first thing the thought police reminded me of was the KGB.

baddad
12-12-2004, 11:24 PM
Re: Kgb lackies:

I'm not sure the thought police were meant to represent, or exist, in only non-democratic societies, or that their concrete existance was obvious in all societies as a control mechanism over the masses. Capitalist societies have a version of thought police, but they are more sublte in their use of power, but not less effective. Want to see the thought police in action? Stand up in the world and voice dissenting opinion on war, inequality, or sharing the world's resourse wealth with all of humanity. The sublte elite will do their best to silence you, yet their influence will be intangible to the recipient of their manipulations..Discent is rarely tolerated in any society, and thought police can exist etherealy in the collective conscious of a society.....IMHO...

An American writer, Mark Twain, once said (paraphrased) "When I find myself agreeing with 95% of the people on an issue I like to rethink my position".

Rumble
12-20-2004, 11:14 PM
I never studied 1984 at school but it's one of my all-time favourite books. The more I read it, the more I see 1984 as a brilliant but thinly disguised warning against the threat of communist world domination. This fear turned into the cold war that lasted well into the 1980's, but in truth anti-Sovietism started even during WWII.

All that being said--the Inner Party are the communist cronies who surrounded Stalin, worked for him, advised him, feared him... . You might say they are the party elite, Big Brother's first-stringers.

If you're interested, there's a great movie called The Inner Circle which is based on the true story of Stalin's personal movie projectionist. Inner Circle, Inner Party, same idea.

Hope this helps--it's my very first post and I'm happy to be here! :banana:

angela
12-21-2004, 12:04 PM
The book is a much greater achievement than any of Nostradamus' prophecies. The vision of Eric Blair is so real that we can't perceive our present situation, - we only look for extremes.
Truth creeps in unnoticed - "1984" is a system of fixed stars in human thinking. The Darwinism of ideologies has brought rich fruit to some.
Bye bye KGB, Hi Political Correctness. Have got a bowed back.

atiguhya padma
12-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Unfortunately, because of his emphasis on linguistics and thought, Orwell probably did a great deal to promote political correctness.