PDA

View Full Version : tragedies

ilism
01-03-2006, 08:48 PM
hi, please anyone who can help thanx..... i have to write a report for english literature for tomorrow. i want to know about de elizabetha theatre and why r de tragedies called so. please answer as quickly as u can
thnx in advance

ilism
01-03-2006, 11:19 PM
Please Anyone I Need Help

RobinHood3000
01-04-2006, 07:00 AM
Tragedies are called tragedies because the central character suffers a downfall by the end of the play (in the case of Hamlet, for example, the same goes for just about every semi-central character). This may be the result of a tragic flaw on the part of the protagonist (Macbeth, for example) or the protagonists' situation (Romeo and Juliet, although the two lovers were hardly blameless in their own deaths).

ilism
01-04-2006, 08:10 PM
thnx man, and i got my report extend for exchange of more work...... so if anyone can tell me which shakespeare plays were the problem plays and why r they called so
thx

whammy606
01-09-2006, 08:36 PM
ya im doing that too. elizabethan theater. i have to do this huge essay on it. its hard. i cant find to much on it and it has to be like 5 pages. :mad:

ilism
01-10-2006, 04:37 PM
plz any1???
i have 3 more days, plz i begging
thx

emily655321
01-10-2006, 04:52 PM
We're not going to do your research for you, dude. You may not realize just how many grade-school students come here to ask us to answer their homework questions for them. If there's something you want to discuss, I'd be happy to discuss it with you. But we're not a handy cheating tool.

If you're writing a paper on this topic, I'm guessing that it was discussed in class; probably for a period of weeks, in the case of Shakespeare. Have you taken any notes? Did you have other homework assignments you can go back and look at for inspiration? Do you have any opinion at all on your topic, one that might suggest where you want to go with this paper? It's only five pages long; there's only so much that will fit in five pages. Go to the library, look up "Elizabethan theatre," spend one afternoon reading and taking notes, and you can write the paper the next evening. If you weren't paying attention in class, that's your problem, not ours.

Xamonas Chegwe
01-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Zounds, Mistress 655321, thy tongue is harsh! Fair and true; but exceeding harsh! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A fair example of tragedy would be that of poor ilism. He twas that, seeking to avoid labour by exploiting the wit of others, received naught but a tongue-lashing for his troubles!

I have surrendered a huge clue to the nature of tragedy here, if thou art wise enough but to see, for tis the actions (according to his nature) of tragedy's clown that lead him ever to his doom; and the folly in his nature that despises the obvious escapes. So knuckle down and work boy!

Nightshade
01-10-2006, 07:15 PM
You could of course try google. Im sure there are aricles out there on the nature of elixzabethan theater, haqd to do it myself last year or the year before.

*I am evil* I just thought wouldnt it be fun to delibratly mislead or confuse :eek2: But if you know what your talking about this might help.
And on that note it might help to look up or actually read the meaning of a tradgedy the greek principles of a tradgedy Aristotle 4 things what were they again? Time place and somthing else?
In shakespear especially you have the exsistance of microcosims ( hamlet for one) the importance of order, Christinaity the exsistance of the real threat of evil. Redemtion, the coruption of good by a seed of evil ( sort of a bad apple syndrome) reocuuring consepts of the seven deadly sins, iomportance of comic relief.
Err actually If your looking for why tradghedies are called tradgedies have you thought of word root whats it called entimological dictionary?
Good luck :D

ilism
01-12-2006, 11:23 PM
well, we havnt disscussed much about Shakespeare in my class, i couldnt find which ones were the problem plays, thats the only thing i couldnt found, i kno bout the elizabethan theatre, but i understand emily wat u trying to do so ok no problem thx anyway, and thx to robinhood3000, well the due date of my report is tomorrow so ill hand it in with out the problem plays, ill egt some marks reducted but oh well, thx anyway

shamus88
01-17-2006, 03:55 AM
normally i wouldnt do this, but i have been in a situation like you- i missed a lot of lessons on a novel and found it hard to catch up.

I don't know if its too late but:

As stated by somebody else a tragedy is a series of events where the protagonist(s) end up worse than how they started. HOWEVER the word 'tragedy' comes from Dionysiac Greek choral song of the fifth century. The word for tragedy was 'tragoidio' which literally translates to 'goat song'- an interesting idea when considering sacrifice.

A POINT TO ALL: When writing about a tragedy always remember about catharsis. Also try to think of plays as plays, not texts- this helps understanding and interpretation

Cheers

ilism
01-26-2006, 11:44 PM
well thx any1, i think i did pretty good in my report

JackExsecror
03-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Zounds, Mistress 655321, thy tongue is harsh! Fair and true; but exceeding harsh! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A fair example of tragedy would be that of poor ilism. He twas that, seeking to avoid labour by exploiting the wit of others, received naught but a tongue-lashing for his troubles!

I have surrendered a huge clue to the nature of tragedy here, if thou art wise enough but to see, for tis the actions (according to his nature) of tragedy's clown that lead him ever to his doom; and the folly in his nature that despises the obvious escapes. So knuckle down and work boy!

This is a pretty old comment, but I just wanted to say something. I disagree with what you say, since your statement about a clown's actions lead him to his doom does not apply to all of Shakespeare's tragedies. This may be a bad example, since there is alot of debate on WHO the real tragic hero in Julius Caesar was, but if it were to be Caesar...then what was his foolish actions? Was it his ambition? In Act3, Scene 2, Mark Antony talks about Brutus' accusations on Caesar being ambitious, and he thoroughly describes how Brutus was wrong. So its not always true.

Stismet
03-06-2006, 09:21 PM
This is a pretty old comment, but I just wanted to say something. I disagree with what you say, since your statement about a clown's actions lead him to his doom does not apply to all of Shakespeare's tragedies. This may be a bad example, since there is alot of debate on WHO the real tragic hero in Julius Caesar was, but if it were to be Caesar...then what was his foolish actions? Was it his ambition? In Act3, Scene 2, Mark Antony talks about Brutus' accusations on Caesar being ambitious, and he thoroughly describes how Brutus was wrong. So its not always true.

But what Mark Antony was saying was mostly false, because Caesar was merely pretending to be humble in order to woo the crowd. Caesar's actions led himself to his own doom, despite how it seems on the surface.