PDA

View Full Version : The Best Reads of 2005

Scheherazade
01-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Which book(s) has been your favorite in 2005 and why? Please share your thoughts and comments on the books the Book Club read last year here.

You can vote for more than one book!

Book Club Procedures (http://www.online-literature.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57103#post57103)

papayahed
01-03-2006, 07:02 PM
I think I'll wait until I finish Hogfather.

It's hard to believe I've read 8 of those books this year. Can we also have a poll for the worst?? I would put Orlando at the top of that one...

Scheherazade
01-03-2006, 09:01 PM
I was planning to do that as well but didn't have time earlier.

Shea
03-23-2006, 11:23 PM
I've only read four of these and only two of those with the club. I chose Lord of the Flies for it's depth. Though I didn't read this one with the club, I just read it a couple weeks ago and would like to read through the discussion when I get the chance. There are so many ways of looking at that one, that I very much hope that I get the chance to teach it.

I also chose Someplace to be Flying simply because it was intriguing and fun. I usually don't explore recent publications because I'm often disappointed, but I liked this one.

papayahed
03-24-2006, 11:00 AM
HaHa I just realized I didn't vote, I picked the curious incident of the dog in the night and Someplace to be flying.

anne1987
07-08-2006, 09:51 AM
i think rebecca is one of the best books that ever was. after reading it, i moved about dazed for a week. also, irving stone's 'lust for life 'and'the agony and the ecstasy ' were great reads. i am currently reading salman rushdie's ' the ground beneath her feet.' i find it mersmerising...

anne1987
07-08-2006, 09:55 AM
i think rebecca is one of the best books that ever was. after reading it, i moved about dazed for a week. also, irving stone's 'lust for life 'and'the agony and the ecstasy ' were great reads. i am currently reading salman rushdie's ' the ground beneath her feet.' i find it mersmerising...
there is first the literature ofknowledge and secondly,the literature of power. the function of the first is to teach- the second is to move.

anne1987
07-16-2006, 03:20 AM
three men in a boat is hilarious, especially the butter episode. montgomery is irritatingly funny...... inspite of a hell lot of confusion, the three still seem to be having a ball all the time.
''beauty is eloquent, even when it is silent.''

Shakira
07-16-2006, 08:24 AM
I hadn't participated in the Book Club but I have read some of the above mentioned books. Of them I would judge Rebecca to be the best.