PDA

View Full Version : Acting As Juliet for Balcony Scene (any suggestions?)

lil_old_me12
12-29-2005, 08:43 PM
:D Hey everyone! Happy new year! I'm acting as Juliet for the Balcony scene for English. I'm wondering if you have any suggestions for me as to how I should act to fully show Juliet's character traits?

RobinHood3000
12-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Well, Juliet's nature is somewhat impulsive and not altogether sensible, so perhaps a coquettish giggle here and there?

Scheherazade
12-29-2005, 09:09 PM
You might act like she suffers from acrophobia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrophobia), which, I believe, is an unusual and interesting interpretation of her character and this scene.

aequitas
12-30-2005, 06:11 PM
Have you ever taken a theatre course?
There's a method of acting that I subscribe to called--wait for it--"method acting." The basic idea is that an actor can draw on emotions he or she has experienced personally that match the character's emotions in a particular scene.
So in the balcony scene, Juliet a) has just fallen madly in love for, perhaps, the first time, b) has just learned that her new object of desire is--oops!--one of her family's worst enemies, anc c) isn't in a completely secure situation: some random Capulet could come strolling about and notice that Romeo's wooing a Capulet girl. (I'm sure you could expand farther on her characterization here; that's just a framework.)

It's not quite so common a situation these days, but you can probably piece together her mindset from your experience. And if not, I think the acrophobia idea is awesome, though I've never seen it before.