PDA

View Full Version : Human Psychology in Wuthering Heights

Enchanted
12-29-2005, 06:31 PM
Hey Everyone

I'm supposed to be responding to WH as a psychological text...mostly based on the theories of Freud and Jung

So far, I think that Catherine symbolizes Freud's ego, Heathcliff=the id, and Edgar= the superego.

With respect to the second generation...Cathy=ego, Hareton=id, but Linton doesn't realli fit the image of the superego.

But im stuck on its relation to Jungian Psychology

Wht are ur opinions?
Thnx..any help wud be greatly appreciated

legendsword
01-23-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm taking an AP Literature course online and they had this info about Jungian criticism: "Archetypal or Jungian Criticism explores the presence in works of art of archetypes - unconscious images, symbols, associations, or concepts presumed to be a common inheritance of all human beings. An analysis of symbols of rebirth in a number of myths or folk tales would be an example of Jungian criticism.

Carl Gustav Jung: Archetypal: This type comes from my writings on and my idea of the collective unconscious and the idea that certain symbols, themes and characters recur in the literature of all groups worldwide. Examples would be the use of water for learning or enlightenment or the desert to symbolize intellectual or spiritual barrenness. Archetypes can also take the form of situations such as initiation into life or the finding of something lost. Alienation would be a type of archetypal theme. The doting father or the shrewish wife would represent archetypal characters. Other examples of archetypes are images: water, sun, colors, circles, serpent, numbers, garden, tree, desert."

Hope that helps