PDA

View Full Version : Question About Ring???

EtherealStarlet
12-27-2005, 05:16 AM
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knew why Christine gives the ring back to the Erik in the movie version?

PhantomLover2
12-28-2005, 10:07 PM
I think she gave Erik the ring because she wanted him to have something to remind him of her because he loved her. This is just my guess.

soa1995
03-20-2006, 10:07 PM
I think she gave it back to him so that she could see him and touch him one last time and I agree with Phantomlover2, she wanted him to have something to remember her by.

phantom scholar
04-07-2006, 02:18 AM
I htink i must say that it is important for us to view the ring not as an object, but as a symbol. You see, the ring is a symbol of love. Raoul bought the ring and gave it to christine as an engagement ring. The phantom took it from her, symblizing that he took away roul's love for christine, and now the phantom loves christine. The, he returns it to her, saying he apologizes and christine may wear the ring as an expression of love form Raoul, which the ring represented in the first place. However, by Christine accepting the ring from the pahntom, she would also be accepting the phantom's love, which she did not want to do. so, she gave the ring back to him to say "no thanks, goodbye". It is also fitting that after Christine dies, the Phantom places it on her grave as if to say "goodbye" as well.

h_hussien
04-10-2006, 10:38 AM
frist of all this ring was given to her by the phantom ( it was the phantom's ring) . so when she returned the ring to him as a wellfare as :" i'm sorry i can't take it ".
she wanted him to know it is a goodbye , i think.

paledancer
05-05-2006, 03:47 PM
even it was risky to return to give the ring back, (he could have changed his mind and would take her again) she did return. it was polite, you know she must have been disturbed by the idea of running away like escaping from a monster

Amourdelafantom
05-25-2006, 08:39 AM
i think it's meant to be symbolism...in the BOOK Raoul never gave Christine a ring Erik, however, gave her a simple gold band to wear so he would know that she was still loyal to him. In the film version raoul gave her the ring (as in the musical play) and Erik takes it to remind her of her promise (they were already engaged and then as now you really cannot be engaged to 2 people at 1ce!!!) He returns it to her in his lair reminding her of her promise and she gives it back as she leaves... no a very good peice of plotting i'll admit, but the symbolism seems to indicate (in the 2004 version) that had he told her to stay She WOULD have remained with him, but since he freed her from her promise she was "saying" that a part of her heart would always belong to him hense the return of the ring to her grave.

mthorselover
06-06-2006, 07:29 PM
I have only seen the movie and listened to the soundtrack several times a day (my commute to work is 1.25 hrs). I have Leroux’s & Kay’s books on order. They should be here in a few days. However, I am an avid reader of modern and European literature, a history graduate, and writing a historical romance novel. So, I am so very excited about reading my two new books.

I believe the ring that Erik took from Christine and then later gave to her when she was to don the wedding dress symbolizes their eternal love for one another. She may have “mouthed” to Raoul that she loved him, but there was no passion in her eyes. Just a look of sorrow. Christine slipped the ring on her finger just before she kissed Erik. And she had so much love and passion written all over her face. More so just before the second kiss. After her kiss, Erik begins to cry because she touched his soul to the deepest core. And she was smiling at him with such fondness and admiration. If Erik had not let her go with Raoul, I believe she would not have felt that she made a mistake staying with Erik. Then she returned as he was listening to the music box. Erik told Christine that he loved her. She didn’t have to say that she loved Erik. She wore her love for him on her face. She gave Erik the ring back, I believe, to prove to him that he would never be alone because she would love him for eternity. Rings are given between a man and woman and has always symbolized eternal love. And Erik returns the ring to her at her grave as proof that he did love her for eternity.

I found it quite odd that Raoul would go to the auction and purchase the music box as a reminder of Erik. And then he takes it to Christine’s grave. Maybe this is a “peace” offering of a sort for a guilty mind. With a look of “knowing” he spots the rose, a fresh rose, with the ring on it. Raoul then gives a knowing smile and looks around to see if he could spot Erik. Christine may have been a “beloved wife and mother”, but, Raoul never had the same love that Christine felt for Erik. Erik gave her so much more all those years as the Angel of Music. Raoul also was almost in tears watching Erik & Christine on stage during Don Juan. It seemed at that point that he realized that Christine was truly in love with Erik. Erik beating Raoul to the grave with his token of “eternal love” was just more proof that there was an undying love between Erik and Christine that he never was able to share with her.

RDraconis
07-18-2006, 04:34 PM
At first I thought of it as a "sorry, i can't accept this- I can't love you" sort of thing. This was partly because I really dislike Christine, and also because he looks miserable and tears slip down his face after she did. And then he sorta stalks off with a "It's over now, the music of the night!".
Let's not forget the whole "grow cold and turn to tears of hate" and "farewell my fallen idol and false friend". I thought her looks during the kiss were "Will you let him go now?" not "I love you"...
But I agree the fresh rose with the ring was a definite note of "I will always love you" from Erik.

But a part of her had to love him. She did glance back.

Also, she should've stayed with Erik. He would've made sure her tombstone said something a lot better than "beloved wife and mother". I mean... Geez, Raoul- reeeeaaaaal original. Totally reflects your undying love for her. :brickwall:

emilysweety
12-16-2006, 04:52 PM
She gave back the ring to Erik in the theater too. That's because she was going to marry Raoul. She couldn't keep Erik's ring...Erik was so sweet. AW~~~If I was Christine I would chose Erik, and I would tell Raoul I love you too, but not in the same way as I love Erik...

RDraconis
12-17-2006, 03:57 PM
If I was Christine I would chose Erik, and I would tell Raoul I love you too, but not in the same way as I love Erik...

Why? I mean... think about it. Really think about it. I agree, it's more romantic- but think about it. They'd've lived in that little cave...

In the book I'd consider it, but he even said that they could live almost like a normal couple- above ground. He was also promising to do whatever she wanted, whereas in the Musical it's just sort of a "I want you, so you're mine". He didn't try very hard to win her over...

Phangirl7
06-13-2009, 12:09 PM
I think she gave it back because even though she was going with Raoul, she still loved the Phantom, it was a different love than she had with Raoul, but still, she looks back at him as she and Raoul are leaving in the boat. That screams, "I still want to stay with you!," to me.
P.G.7.