PDA

View Full Version : Who likes Willard V.O. Quine, and why?

byquist
12-24-2005, 03:54 PM
Why do you like his ideas?

How much influence does he have on today?

Xamonas Chegwe
12-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Who likes the question, "Who likes Willard V.O. Quine, and why?", and why?

I honestly haven't read any of his work but I've read of him in Douglas Hofstadter's excellent, "Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" and I love his mathematisation of word play. Have you read any of his writings and would you recommend them?

byquist
12-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Only read apx. 25 pages (slow reading!) of his, "Web of Belief." If he was my Dad I would not be singing Luther Vandross' "Dance With My Father Again," if you get my meaning. Underneath he has taken some pot shots at stuff he doesn't cater to, which is his right, but shows a lack of imagination. Daniel Dennett studied with him, he studied with Whitehead. So far finding him reasonably sticking to standard intellectualism, slightly droll, but mostly dry. Good book to cure insomnia.

Xamonas Chegwe
12-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Shame - because his ideas seem really interesting as presented in GEB:EGB. Although I would imagine that he's more in the realms of mathematical logic than philosophy - so it may depend on where you approach his work from - pure speculation on my part though - he's on my list of future reading (but it's a long list!)

"Is a propos of nothing" is a propos of nothing. Wouldn't you agree?

byquist
01-01-2006, 02:28 AM
Not to worry, wikipedia calls him a philosopher's philosopher, so he has the credentials. The picture on the cover of his autobiography, shown in an internet article or book ad, shows such a serious face. Do any of these philosophers ever smile for photo-ops? Or, is a glum and sober look the badge of a deep thinker? Did Sarte, Nietzche or Schopenhauer ever have a jolly moment caught by a camera lens?

Xamonas Chegwe
01-01-2006, 12:21 PM
I personally believe that Neitzsche grew the moustache to disguise any wry smiles that might leak out in an unguarded moment.

Sartre though, was quite the chortler in his spare time. ;)

http://www.ottres.ca/tmach/globalbir/06jun/jun21sartre.sm.jpg

byquist
01-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Hmm. Looks sortof like Alfred E. Newman