PDA

View Full Version : Emilia and Desdemona in OTHELLO !!

strawberry
12-18-2005, 06:21 PM
hello all i have quation here : Give me a good comparison between Emilia and Desdemona in dealing with men and experiances ?

please it's urgent i have to give the answer in Tuesday

The Unnamable
12-18-2005, 06:53 PM
Look in particular at Act IV scene iii line 60 to the end.

DESDEMONA
I have heard it said so. O, these men, these men!
Dost thou in conscience think,--tell me, Emilia,--
That there be women do abuse their husbands
In such gross kind?

EMILIA
There be some such, no question.

DESDEMONA
Wouldst thou do such a deed for all the world?

EMILIA
Why, would not you?

DESDEMONA
No, by this heavenly light!

EMILIA
Nor I neither by this heavenly light;
I might do't as well i' the dark.

DESDEMONA
Wouldst thou do such a deed for all the world?

EMILIA
The world's a huge thing: it is a great price.
For a small vice.

DESDEMONA
In troth, I think thou wouldst not.

EMILIA
In troth, I think I should; and undo't when I had
done. Marry, I would not do such a thing for a
joint-ring, nor for measures of lawn, nor for
gowns, petticoats, nor caps, nor any petty
exhibition; but for the whole world,--why, who would
not make her husband a cuckold to make him a
monarch? I should venture purgatory for't.

DESDEMONA
Beshrew me, if I would do such a wrong
For the whole world.

EMILIA
Why the wrong is but a wrong i' the world: and
having the world for your labour, tis a wrong in your
own world, and you might quickly make it right.

DESDEMONA
I do not think there is any such woman.

EMILIA
Yes, a dozen; and as many to the vantage as would
store the world they played for.
But I do think it is their husbands' faults
If wives do fall: say that they slack their duties,
And pour our treasures into foreign laps,
Or else break out in peevish jealousies,
Throwing restraint upon us; or say they strike us,
Or scant our former having in despite;
Why, we have galls, and though we have some grace,
Yet have we some revenge. Let husbands know
Their wives have sense like them: they see and smell
And have their palates both for sweet and sour,
As husbands have. What is it that they do
When they change us for others? Is it sport?
I think it is: and doth affection breed it?
I think it doth: is't frailty that thus errs?
It is so too: and have not we affections,
Desires for sport, and frailty, as men have?
Then let them use us well: else let them know,
The ills we do, their ills instruct us so.

DESDEMONA
Good night, good night: heaven me such uses send,
Not to pick bad from bad, but by bad mend!

Exeunt

This will give you the core of your essay. I’ve put what I consider to be the key lines in green. The interchange tells us a great deal about the different attitudes of the two women. Perhaps Desdemona appears very naïve. Can she really mean it when she says, “I do not think there is any such woman.”? Or perhaps that is the idealised outlook of someone in love. My own experience tells me that Emilia’s response is more ‘realistic’ – certainly more accepting of the evidence of her much more extensive experience. It’s not that one of them is right and the other wrong – without conflict over differing human perspectives, there would be no drama.

The Unnamable
12-19-2005, 06:07 PM
A good essay is a good argument. By ‘good’ here, I mean ‘persuasive’. So what you have to do is convince your teacher/examiner that you know the play well and can use that knowledge to construct a persuasive argument.
The way to begin is to consider the similarities and differences between Emilia and Desdemona. They are obviously both married women but are different in terms of social status. More significantly, they have very different attitudes to the behaviour of men and morality in general. In the extract I highlighted, Emilia is far more pragmatic than Desdemona. She thinks that men (and women) are flawed and takes up the position that remaining faithful is less important than gaining wealth or power. This is probably much closer to what the majority believe than we would like to believe. In very simple terms, how many of us would sleep with someone who is not our spouse for “the whole world”? Emilia says that she would, although the pragmatism I mentioned is apparent when she says, “Nor I neither by this heavenly light; / I might do't as well i' the dark.” So she wouldn’t be advertising her actions but would be unfaithful if the rewards were sufficient. Her argument is morally very loose to say the least but it does have a certain force:

“Why the wrong is but a wrong i' the world: and
having the world for your labour, tis a wrong in your
own world, and you might quickly make it right.”

Desdemona, on the other hand, considers fidelity to be the most important consideration and goes as far as to say that she cannot believe any woman would be unfaithful. This could be seen as extremely naïve – both sexes are unfaithful all the time. However, it could also be seen as praiseworthy – she loves Othello and considers that more important than gaining wealth or power. In many ways, the conflicting attitudes of the two women can be seen as a reflection of the differences between Othello’s and Iago’s views of human beings. The former sees nobility and worth in people, the latter sees only the very basest of instincts.
I hope that helps. Good Luck.

strawberry
12-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Yes that's what i want.. :)

it helps me alot

Thank you so much THE UNNAMABLE

mewize
02-16-2006, 04:51 AM
Keep in mind that Iago has in the past thought Emilia to be unfaithful.
I,iii,406

But for my sport and profit. I hate the Moor:
And it is thought abroad, that 'twixt my sheets
He has done my office: I know not if't be true;

But this does not seem to phaze Iago in a way that would make him become maliciously jealous. As indeed jealousy plays a very deadly game in the mind of Othello. One thing of note is to see that Emila turns the responsibility for infidelity upon husbands if they 'slack their duties'. I think it could be said that Desdemona is blinded by love for her husband (she certainly is obediant or, knowing the changes that have morphed a loving Othello into 'the green eyed monster', might have saved her life by avoiding sleeping 'on their wedding sheets' that night) while Emilia remains aware of what men are capable. But for all her knowledge of masculin traits, Emilia plays an unconscious role in the death of Desdemona. Emilia seems to be rather flirtatious also as demonstrated in Act II Scene i lines 106-112 when she has an encounter with Cassio at the seaport.

See for the news.
Exit Gentleman
Good ancient, you are welcome.
To EMILIA
Welcome, mistress.
Let it not gall your patience, good Iago,
That I extend my manners; 'tis my breeding 110
That gives me this bold show of courtesy.
Kissing her

Desdemona's father sowed the seeds of doubt in the mind of Othello long before Iago began working his magic upon his mind with his rhyme '
I, iii, 316: Look to her, Moor, if thou hast eyes to see:
She has deceived her father, and may thee.

and indeed Desdemona seems to let her eyes wander in IV, iii, 38
No, unpin me here.
This Lodovico is a proper man.

I think it could be said that Emilia is a more worldly version of Desdemona. Desdemona is innocent while Emilia is experienced.

Best of luck

Me

Aransha
12-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Thank u all
it benefits me a lot:thumbs_up