PDA

View Full Version : Emilia and Desdemona!! plz imp

strawberry
12-18-2005, 06:15 PM
hello all i have quation here : Give me a good comparison between Emilia and Desdemona in dealing with men and experiances ?

SkizaWWE
03-14-2006, 11:23 PM
I feel that a good comparison between how Emilia deals with men and subsequent experiences and how Desdemona deals with the same issue can be found by the way they both confront Iago at various points throughout the play. Desdemona confronts Iago when they arrive on Cyprus in Act 2, when they are greeted warmly by Cassio. Desdemona feels the need to defend Emilia as a quiet person to Iago and he makes a series of witty and derogoratory remarks about women's beauty and brains. He also comments that a woman's nice side is just for show. Emilia in Act 5, refuses to be sent away by Iago and tells everyone what he has done and refers to Othello as a devil for suffocating and murdering Desdemona without just reasoning.

I think the way Desdemona and Emilia have handled their interactions with men in these dealings highlight a recurring trend throughout the play that they grow tiresome of being spoken down to and treated inferior by the dominant males within the play but ultimately its Emilia who breaks down these barriers and refuses to be dictated to any longer whereas Desdemona is unable to plead her case to Othello when he confronts her in the bedroom despite the fact she is innocent. Despite this, i feel that they are both elements of the same women. Desdemona is the pure virgin and Emilia is the dutiful wife.

Hope my ideas help to answer your question.

lil_chicken
03-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Wellll Bianca and Desdemona are both women in relationships where the men have the power. Bianca and Desdemona and not weak characters even though descriptions of white label them as innocent and pure. Bianca is a local prostitute so this description is ironic and Desdemona is able to stand up for herself (for example in front of her father). They therefore do have a voice in the play but not one that makes them the dominant gender, which is also due to the gender roles of the Elizabethan age. They are different in their expreriences because they are apart of different social classes. Bianca has a very different experience of men compared to Desdemona because she would have encountered all sorts due to her occupation. Men would not have the same respect for Bianca than what they would have for Desdemona. Desdemona would have been a virgin until she married Othello so would not have experienced the closer interaction with the male anatomy as Bianca had (haha). Desdemona can therefore be seen as inexperienced or innocent in sexual love but is on another level with emotional and spiritual connections with a man which Bianca has not been described as experiencing. Bianca was used by Cassio for sex and not treated with respect, he did not LOVE her but obviously enjoyed the company. Desdemona and Othello were deeply in love with eachother. It is however unsure whether Othello loved Desdemona as a priceless possession he had won but that is another essay you could talk about there. In conclusion with everything i have discussed, Bianca and Desdemona are similar because women do not have the power in the relationship during the Elizabethan age. They can be compared because of their social classes, occupations and experiences with men.

Goodluck :)

lil_chicken
03-14-2006, 11:27 PM
Oh bugga, i meant between Bianca and Dezza, well now you have something else to write about and can reply about Bianca and her role i nthe play :D

opps hehe

cRaZy
03-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Emilia Isn't A Push Over, Desdemona Is. Emilia Goes Out Of Her Way To Prove Iago Is A Villan. Desdemona On The Other Hand After Othello Tried To Kill Her She Still Takes The Blame For It!!!!what A Twittt!!!! Emilia Gives Women A Certain Power In The Play, She Makes A Stance And Thats What I Loved About Her Character. Desdemona Never Stepped Out Of Her Boundries She Tried Too Hard To Be Perfect And She Ended Up Dead. Emilia, On The Other Hand Died Because She Spoke The Truth, Now Thats Way Better In My Opinion. Check For References Made To Othello By Desdemona And Then Check Reference Made About Men/iago By Emilia, There Is A Drastic Difference.

Virgil
03-14-2006, 11:31 PM
Lil chicken

What are you taking about. Emilia is not a prostitute. She's Desdomona's attendant. Bianca is the courtesan.

lil_chicken
03-15-2006, 05:44 AM
no dah i kno emilia isnt a prostitute i corrected myself!! and i dont kno wot ur goin on bout after that lol

tomatoes
03-15-2006, 05:47 AM
OK, Emilia and Desdemona. well of the two Emilia is definitely the better character. she is more aware of the fact that men have the tendency to do wrong things whereas Desdemona believes her Othello is a saint. Emilia is aware of Iago's wrongdoings and maliciousness and that has given her a negative view of men in general. because Iago has treated her badly she believes that all men treat women badly. She sees that they have the capacity for wrongdoing so believes that they will automatically do something wrong. She is certainly more suspicious than Desdemona.
Desdemona is the most annoyning character in the entire play. She is exaggeratedly naive and believes everything that people tell her. She completely trusts Iago (a big no no) and also trusts Othello. At the end of the play, when she suspects she may not survive the night she tells Emilia "we must not now disappoint him". Even on her deathbed she refuses to go against her husband's wishes.
Desdemona is the more traditional of the two while Emilia uses her brain. Emilia is more suspicious of Iago rather than being able to see his plot because she only realises at the end what evil her hisband has done.