PDA

View Full Version : Line from the Fountainhead

Truth_Told
12-13-2005, 10:48 PM
One of the lead characters in the Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand, has a discussion with a sunday school teacher as a youth. Now i don't remember 100% of the text but i remember the just of it and what stuck with me. The conversation is as follows: The bible study teacher says to the class "What would a man truely profit, if he were to gain all the riches of the world, but still lose his soul?". The character then replied by saying, " So in order to truely be wealthy, a man should collect souls?". I know it may not qualify as a quote but its interesting coming from the 11 year old child( not exactly sure of the age), imagine the things that he would say as he grew up. and imagine, those of u that have kids, if your kids were to say something to u like that...

jessezzel
02-27-2006, 03:30 PM
I would have to send my child to Bill Cosby.

jon1jt
10-08-2007, 04:06 PM
i don't recall the quote, but the message underscores the sense in which the losers in the free market game give up not only their labor, but their souls.

CSalisbury
12-26-2007, 12:37 AM
More than anything it underscores the deeply engrained notion of wealth as accumulation.. I think that's the humor. The obvious meaning is that one should treat life as a spirtual journey during which one works on one soul.. obviously one's own.

But are you going for some notion of the industrial era tycoon who amasses a large labour force?