PDA

View Full Version : What edition is this?

rlyons
11-30-2005, 05:25 PM
I have this copy of Uncle Tom's Cabin or Life Amoung the Lowly by Harriet Beecher Stowe. It was printed in Philidelphia by the Henry Altemus Company. I have no idea when it was published though. I'm assuming some time between 1898 after Harriet Beecher Stowe died and 1906 (someone named Eloise B. Newman wrote their name and 1906 on the first page that's where I get that from). There is no copy right date in this book though. The book is in decent condition with some wear and tear but none of the pages are missing or ruined. If you know anything about this edition would you let me know. I'm curious to find out more. I've tried to find stuff online but I haven't found any copies with this cover. Dimensions 6 1/4 inches high by 4 inches wide by 1 1/4 inches thick. It has 634 pages.

warren
01-04-2006, 01:48 PM
rlyons...
Stumbled across your post while researching information on 1st editions. Found the following...

Uncle Tom's Cabin Author: Harriet Beecher Stowe. Published by Henry Altemus Company Philadelphia 1894. Small fancy bound hardcover with bumped corners and edgeware on all edges.Binding and pages tight. White and gilt spine and pink and blue small flowers on boards. Top page ends gilt. Sepia tone illustrations. A pretty little treasure of an old classic tale. Later Printing. Jacket condition: No Jacket Hardcover. Book condition: Good 16mo - over 5¾" - 6¾" tall.
Price: US$30.00
WHITE HORSE BOOKS
27789 Simpson Road
Redwood, New York 13679

Found two other references for this publisher which confirm the publication year of 1894. Hope this helps... Warren

staceyroberts
03-05-2006, 02:23 PM
I have a copy of Uncle Tom's Cabin printed by henry altemus company philadelphia. 634 pages one illustration, green cover with ornate flower gilt and looks like two pieces of wallpaper stuck to the cover also. It looks to be part of the cover. There are no dates in the book but I believe it was published after 1898 as the book references the death of HB Stowe. I have a box of late 1800 - early 1900 books. Where would I get a price guide or appraisal info?

Cary Sternick
03-30-2006, 11:47 AM
Your book is part of the Vademecum Series. This particular volume was published in 1905-1906. Originally it was boxed. Without the box it has only nominal value. [email protected]