PDA

View Full Version : Sophocles' Antigone -- Help Needed!

krazyklassykat
11-29-2005, 11:59 PM
I admit it, I need help. But I'm not a leech that begs for help from anyone I can find; I am openly willing to have a mature and sophisticated discussion. Writing is one of my strong points, but plots are a definite weak point, and I have been asked to write a film prospectus for a remake of Antigone. It needs to include convincing reasons why my remake will be a popular success, a basic plot outline, and some notes on costuming and music. Obviously, it's the plot that is worrying me the most. I have a basic idea to modernize Antigone and make its themes fit into a familiar situation -- the state of America under Bush's rule. It is understood that my remake need not stay strictly by the original; it requires only the presence of major themes and conflicts. I hope to emphasize the motif of ignorance/arrogance, the conflict of pride vs. prudence, and the theme "opression breeds unrest" This is my main structure, and the other themes will follow.

This is where I'm stuck. Beyond that, I can't figure how to include the other themes and conflicts. D'oh. >_< I know that "divine law" vs. "human law" could be somehow relevant, and that pride and tyranny are important motifs. Hopefully, I can tie in a well-organized plot to fit this and more. To make things simple, I've tried to assign my "characters" to characters of the original play. For example, Bush would assimilate most with Creon. America might fit the part of Thebes, or perhaps the chorus. But most importantly, I need an Antigone. And almost as importantly, I need a way to deliver Tiresias' prophecy; this may or may not require the addition of another character. Then, I need a climactic and resonant ending - something that will

In short, I have quite a predicament on my hands, but I'm hoping that some fellow writers could give me a few pointers. I'm certainly not asking you to spoon-feed me the answers, but discussing the play may help me organize my ideas and formulate new ones. Keep in mind that this IS a school assignment. I'm not actually hoping to present a remake of Antigone to a film company, though if I do well enough, I may give it a shot. ;)

REMINDER: This is NOT an invitation for argument. I have an assignment, and while I greatly appreciate any help, I sincerely hope I will not have to tolerate any meaningless political debate. If you feel you must be argumentative, I beseech you take a CONSTRUCTIVE approach -- and something relevant to Antigone.

Thank you!

emily655321
11-30-2005, 07:57 PM
*snickers* Creon. Least dignified name for an emperor. Ever.

Um, well, it's against the rules of this forum to discuss current politics, period. So I don't think awakening a debate is going to be too much of a problem. However, that also precludes me getting too in-depth when it comes to suggestions. I shall have to pussy-foot this one a little. But I like Antigone a lot, and you're intelligent-sounding, and I like your idea for the project, so I'd like to help.

I haven't read it in ages, but ... for Antigone, perhaps an investigative reporter? (Perhaps on the White House staff, who gets a sudden pang of conscience?) I can think of plot lines, but I think I'm already drifting into dangerous territory, so if you'd like to discuss it further, feel free to Private Message me. :nod:

Scheherazade
11-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Welcome to the Forum, krazyklassykat.

Unfortunately, discussions on current politics is not allowed on this Forum. If anyone is interested or have any suggestions related to the political issues, they can send PMs. Otherwise, please do not discuss politics.