PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Advice Please?

den
10-09-2003, 11:48 AM
Hi.

Does anyone here have a digital camera? I come to all of you my fellow benevolent world-weary and wise forumites for advice. I'm going to buy a digital camera, but please save me from myself, I need help with this. I am looking at spending between $500-$1000CDN.

I have no idea what to look for as far as specifications or quality, I don't know how to compare one to the next, I don't know what names are better than others, how many pixels is the least minimum for quality?

Everyone out there is trying to sell me one, I don't need cheap cheesy hardsells, I need cold hard facts. :P I'd love to hear any advice/warnings/information that they don't tell you in the fine print. Thanking you in advance. :D

KLO
10-09-2003, 05:02 PM
den,
Based on my own experience and what photographer friends have told me, the two brands that seem to be at the top are Sony and Canon. I have used the Sony Cybershot DSC 70, and it is extremely easy to use, takes good pictures, and has lots of options. While it has been discontinued, the Cybershot DSC 75 is the replacement model, and a friend of mine got that one and loves it.

I also know a number of other people who are really into photography, and they highly recommend the Canon cameras. The Sureshot S400 is a really popular one with them.

The following are some tips for buying digital cameras that I think are really good:
A few features you should look for are: 2+ megapixel CCDs, external flash, audio capture, uncompressed files for best image quality, LCD playback, optical zoom and removable media support.

I hope this helps!

Admin
10-09-2003, 06:57 PM
For film quality you want atleast 4 or 5 megapixels.

Digital zoom is worthless, optical zoom is what matters.

Don't get anything that doesn't use standard removable media, smart media cards, compact flash, etc. My camera is 5 megapixels and I can store over 100 photos on a 128mb smart media card.

I have an Olympus Camedia and am happy with it.

What I would do is go to the store (Best Buy, Circuit City) and check out the cameras. Touch the buttons, get a feel for them. Then go online and find the best price (ala http://www.coupon-code.com).

den
10-09-2003, 11:03 PM
;) ooooh geeky techtalk, thanks guys... taking notes...

KLO
10-19-2003, 03:46 PM
Congrats! It sounds like you got the perfect camera for you, and that is always a good buy. :D

Isagel
10-21-2003, 06:11 AM
Have a lot of fun! I bought a digital camera this summer and I love my little toy. Since you now have one I just wanted to share one of my latest discoveries. In some paperstores you van by canvas for laserprinters. If you print your pictures on it they come out a little bit like watercolor paintings. Sometimes pictures that are a little blurred turns out great!

den
10-21-2003, 10:25 AM
Canvas laserprinters huh? wow, that sounds amazing. There are a few printshops here that do a lot of commercial work for real estate and other companies for their advertising and whatnot, if they don't have the equipment I don't know who would. Thanks for the info, I will look into it!

Have a lot of fun! I bought a digital camera this summer and I love my little toy. Since you now have one I just wanted to share one of my latest discoveries. In some paperstores you van by canvas for laserprinters. If you print your pictures on it they come out a little bit like watercolor paintings. Sometimes pictures that are a little blurred turns out great!

AbdoRinbo
10-21-2003, 02:42 PM
That avatar is hot, den. ;)

Admin
10-21-2003, 06:57 PM
I just ordered an 8x10 canvas print from these guys:

http://www.power-graphics.com/

It was $14 + 12 for shipping.

Came out great.

What it was was a Map of Middle Earth that I have since stitched to a leather backing that I will then frame. So its a rustic period-looking map.

den
10-21-2003, 07:44 PM
I can't believe the price! Here I thought it would be outrageous to have this kind of work done.

(I have an obsession with old maps and such, my favourite right now is a copper etching of the world's two hemispere's circa 1610.)

I just ordered an 8x10 canvas print from these guys:

http://www.power-graphics.com/

It was $14 + 12 for shipping.

Came out great.

What it was was a Map of Middle Earth that I have since stitched to a leather backing that I will then frame. So its a rustic period-looking map.