PDA

View Full Version : Jump Awry

applepie
11-27-2005, 02:18 AM
This is the first short story I have attempted to write in a long time. It is finished, but I am thinking of turning it into a moch longer piece of fiction than I originaly planned. Please le me know what you all think. This way I'll have a better idea if I really want to go through the effor of writing more.

It is only tentatively titled for now.

Jump Awry

I found myself in a predicament. Do I open the door to the left? Or maybe the door to the right would be better. On second thought, what am I doing, sitting here and wondering just which door I should go through in this dank hole? Wouldn’t it be much easier to go back the way I came where I know it is relatively safe? After all, I made it through there once. I was successful, and competent. Just how did I end up in this situation…?October 2067
The entire day had sucked. How it had turned out so badly was a mystery to me. I had woken that morning to a beautiful autumn day. The sun was shining, the leaves were changing to red and gold, and it was just cold enough to wear a sweater. From that point on the day had just managed to go from bad to worse.
I was a proud employee of Galatia Engineering, and it was my responsibility to design the newest in a line of deep space aircraft. The project was right on time; all that was left was a test flight. It was one minor detail that had to be seen to before they could market my newest design. There was little chance of failure since I was the best engineer they had on staff. I had single handedly designed the 24 previous models, so we all knew this one would be a success. I had decided that as a tribute to this being my final design for Galatia this would be the best model anyone had ever seen. We’ll call it my final goodbye to the people who helped me to do so much.
I had been working for five years straight and since that was the case it was time for a change. I was leaving the company to go and explore the deepest recesses of space that I helped others get to every day. As a parting gift, as if the billions that allowed me to retire at 28 weren’t enough, Galatia was giving me my own deep space ship. Not just any ship but this particular ship. As long as the test flight went well, I would be leaving that very day for the Orion system. Life was grand…

It was just a routine test flight. I knew the programming and design of the ship as if it was my child. Nothing should have happened. The test should have gone smoothly, but that is not the case. If it had gone smoothly do you think I would be worried over which door to choose? No! I would be in the Orion system as planned sipping drinks on the beach of Metrope II. I would not be in a hole, dirty and rank, and scared, worried if I should go on. Anyway, back to the point of the story. How did I get here...?

October 2067
It was just routine. A 1200 test flight and then by 1400 I was off to see the beaches of Metrope II. After that who knows where I was going to go next. Maybe I would go and see the winged beasts of Draconix Zero. That would be a nice diversion… Alright, power on… Everything looks good.
“All systems are good for flight,” I told Jinx. Jinx was not only my operator when I was flying but he was also my best friend and boyfriend. He was off to see deep space with me, well just as soon as this flight is over. He gave me thumbs up that all was good in the tower.
Pull back… hit the throttle, “And we have lift off!” I yelled into the mike.
I could hear the cheers in the command room as I pulled out of the Earth’s atmosphere. It was a short trip. I was to fly out to Saturn and back to test the navigation, auto pilot, and jump functions. It was simple, fly out as far as Mars; test the autopilot in the asteroid belt. That would take about forty-five minutes. Then, just make the jump to Saturn and then all the way back to Mars.
It was simple elementary processes. We had been jumping to planets for more than a decade and the rest of the technology had been around for hundreds of years. The only thing new about my ship was that the time needed to jump between coordinates had been decreased to one third the time needed with normal jump capabilities. We had found a new way to accelerate the stream of particles we became when we jumped that made it not only faster, but we could go further in a single jump also. Simple…
“Alright Jinx, I am just reaching Mars. I’m going to turn over to auto pilot and cruise on through the asteroid belt.”
“Sounds good Ara, you just keep her smooth and steady. We’ll be out to Metrope II before you know it!”
Ara, that’s me. That is right, just keep it all smooth and Jinx and I were off to our much needed change.
“Whew, this baby can fly. I don’t think that I could even beat out the auto pilot. This teaches me to train the computer Jinx. I should be able to teach it a trick or two still.”
I sighed and looked at the screen. I had gone above and beyond on this model. It was my last one, but I was even impressed at seeing all my hard work in action. This had more than made up for all the late nights and weekends I spent designing the ship and then training the computer.
“OK, Ara it is time to make your jump. You know we’ll be out of contact for five minutes but I will talk to you on the other side.”
“Alright baby, I’ll talk to you when I make Saturn,” I know he could hear the smile in my voice. This was the one function I was looking forward to testing. Cutting the time of a jump down had not only been my idea, but it was also my pet project. I had worked longer and harder on this single aspect of the vessel than any other component. I would be at Saturn in five minutes. My smile grew wider. Just six months ago it would have take almost a half hour.
I checked to be sure that I had the correct coordinates in the computer and started the execution sequence. Just then, I heard the computer say over the intercom, “Coordinates are inaccurate. Redirecting to alternate location.”
The world dropped out beneath me and all I could do was listen helplessly to the computer repeating the message over again. It was too late; I was already in the jump. To stop now could mean not only my death, but also the complete destruction of the ship.
Twenty minutes later the ship dropped out of the jump into a system that I had never seen before. I tried to run scans and pinpoint my location, but all that the computer could tell me was that the system was “unknown”. Since there were over 1,000 systems know to the people of Earth, this could only mean one thing. I was in a lot of trouble if I didn’t figure out how to find my way home.

That was the worst day, but it is only the start of how I came to be in this hole. I have been searching for a way home for more than two years. In that time I have run into all kinds of trouble in one form or another. It turns out that the system I found myself in really was undiscovered. The people of the Ara system, as I like to call it since I’m the first one to find it, were not happy to be discovered. Who knows, maybe I wasn’t really the first to find the system. Maybe they just kill everyone who comes their way.

starrwriter
11-27-2005, 02:41 AM
This is the first short story I have attempted to write in a long time. It is finished, but I am thinking of turning it into a moch longer piece of fiction than I originaly planned. Please le me know what you all think. This way I'll have a better idea if I really want to go through the effort of writing more ...
Wrong attitude IMO. Only you should decide if the story is worth revising into something longer. You have to learn how to judge the value of your own stories.

applepie
11-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Wrong attitude IMO. Only you should decide if the story is worth revising into something longer. You have to learn how to judge the value of your own stories.

I know but I'm just not sure. I like the story but if it doesn't appeal to anyone else then I'm not going to continue on it. I haven't written in a long time so I'm wondering more about my writing abilities. I will probably continue on it, but if you get the chance let me know what you think of the story so far.
Thanks,
Meg

RobinHood3000
11-28-2005, 06:59 PM
VERY intriguing!! I, for one, would love to read more. The only criticism I would make is that the exposition feels a bit forced, since it's apparently given as an internal monologue. It's not critical, but if you could find a way to integrate the fundamental information a little more smoothly into the narrative, it might help. Best of luck on your future writing!

applepie
11-28-2005, 07:02 PM
VERY intriguing!! I, for one, would love to read more. The only criticism I would make is that the exposition feels a bit forced, since it's apparently given as an internal monologue. It's not critical, but if you could find a way to integrate the fundamental information a little more smoothly into the narrative, it might help. Best of luck on your future writing!

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the input. I'm just trying to get back into this, so I'm more or less writing as I think. I'll look it back over, and see if I can do anything to make it run a little more smoothly.

samercury
11-28-2005, 09:10 PM
I really like it. Can't wait to read more......not good at commenting

applepie
11-29-2005, 12:32 AM
I really like it. Can't wait to read more......not good at commenting

Thanks anyway. I'm just glad that there are others who are interested in reading more. I should have some more to post here in another few days.
Thanks.

applepie
11-30-2005, 11:53 PM
Alright, so here is a bit more on the story. I know it isn't much, but I'm having trouble trying to find the time to write with my son running around. I hope you all enjoy, and once again any criticisms are welcome.

“Unidentified system, please re-enter coordinates,” the computer repeated for what must have been the tenth time.
“How can it be unidentified? I’m supposed to be at Jupiter! Fifteen minutes should not have taken me so far away.”
I sat and regarded the computer again. My hands massaged the ball of tension building in my shoulders. I couldn’t be in an unknown system. We had discovered and explored all the systems within thirty light years over the last two decades.
I studied the location again. Nothing looked familiar. The coordinates, 690.36Z by 1001.95X didn’t even offer comfort. They were as foreign to me as the orange planet in front of my viewing window. The planet was truly fascinating in appearance. It was orange, but as I had found in the past colors can be very deceiving. It was streaked with yellow cloud cover but, underneath was a liquid surface dotted with brown land masses. The liquid, or oceans, were so red they might have been made of blood. The over all result, however, was a giant orange ball.
“I don’t know where I am,” I growled, “What do I know!” I hit the arm of the chair in frustration, and then sat holding my stinging palm. Unable to remain sitting I stood up and began to pace the bridge of the ship. I was angry, but I knew it was mostly to cover my rising panic. Suddenly I stopped.
“Computer, scan system and display data on screen,” I started pacing again as I waited for the data to appear. I reasoned that at least I could know what was here. Was I the only one here? Maybe there was someone nearby who could help her find out where here was.
“Ara,” the computer drawled out, “all information is displayed on screen.” My first instinct was to jump on the screen, but before I could act on that impulse a cold fear washed over me. What if I really was alone?
I sank to the floor and curled in upon myself. I really didn’t want to know if I was alone. The tears I fought to forget fell down my face in rivulets. I had never felt as desolate as I did in that moment. I was alone, far from home and everyone dear to me. Especially Jinx. Oh God, he doesn’t even know where I am. I’d been gone, out of contact for an hour and he didn’t know where to find me.
After what seemed to be an hour, but must have been only a few minutes I got up and headed to look at the computer screen. There are ten planets within the system. Each supports life, but only the third, fifth, and eighth planets support intelligent life. Each seem to have both civilizations and all have space travel capabilities. The third planet is primarily agricultural while the other two planets have multiple means of support. No other information can be found about the area.
Well that didn’t sound too bad, I thought. At least there were others in the area. Maybe, just maybe they could tell me where I was. Even better, they might know how I can make it home.
“Computer, which planet has the most advanced space flight capabilities and technology?”
“The fifth planet is the most technologically advanced.”
Well that seals it, “Computer set a course for the fifth planet and send a message asking for aid.”
“The course is set, Ara. It will take approximately thiry-one minutes to reach the fifth planet.”

I awoke to the computers musical alarm telling me that we had reached the fifth planet. I moved to the viewing window to observe the approaching sphere. It was unlike anything I had ever seen. The planed seemed to have no atmosphere. There were no clouds around the surface as I was used to at home. The planet also seemed to have only a small water source. It was a freshwater lake that was about the size of the Mediterranean ocean.
I began to worry as I viewed the planet. It was larger than home, but it was covered in an endless city. How had one water source provided for all the inhabitants that must live on the surface? More importantly, what were the current conditions on the planet? With the information available I could easily be walking into a death trap.
“Computer, can you access any further data on the planet at a closer range. I’m going to need subliminal recordings to learn the language before we make contact. I also would like to know an approximate population and any other information about culture you can gather.”
“The information you require will be available in five minutes.”
I left the helm of the ship and headed to my chamber. In the time it took the computer to process everything I could at least make myself presentable for the coming transmission I was going to make.
“Computer, determine appropriate clothing for women, and have the outfit sent to my room,” I instructed as an afterthought. If I was going to have to talk with their officials the least I could do was be dressed appropriately.