PDA

View Full Version : Friar Lawrence sure is suspicious

redXI
11-24-2005, 08:31 AM
As a man of God, Friar could/should've said "I can't help marry Juliet to Paris-She's already married to Romeo!".

What's your opinion about this?

startraveller-b
11-28-2005, 06:13 AM
Sure, he could have stopped them. However, being their friend, he chooses to help with their crisis. He sees that Juliet does not love Paris, and tries to make it so that she's happy with Romeo.

shakespearelvr
11-30-2005, 08:10 PM
If Friar Lawrence would have said that at the time in which this all takes place he could possibly have been killed. You must remember those times were different and you were expected to marry as your parents wished. Plus seeing that there was a feud between the two families of Romeo and Juliet it would have put the Friar in an even more dangerous situation seeing as he married the two only children of the feuding families. Hope this helps your question.

DylNye
12-19-2005, 07:09 PM
Sure, Friar Lawrence as a man of god could've declared that he wouldn't marry Juliet and Paris because Juliet was already married, but then it wouldn't end up to be a tragedy, would it?

aequitas
12-30-2005, 06:21 PM
shakespearelvr's right. And the Friar wouldn't have been putting just himself in danger: there's a good chance Paris would go wreak vengence on Romeo for marrying (and--just think of it!--sleeping with) the girl he wants to marry. And even if he didn't, Romeo and Juliet would still be in pretty big trouble: the families may very well be more at war than ever after the Tybalt/Mercutio fiasco.

DylNye, I think it still would have ended up a tragedy, though an altogether less satisfying one. Juliet, and possibly Paris, would be pretty miserable, Romeo would probably go sulk some more, the Friar would be banished or worse, and the family feud would continue.

The story's current ending is still uplifting, because we realize just how powerful Romeo and Juliet's love was--and everyone wants something like that that they know is worth fighting for. Also, the families decide that the feud is stupid, and everyone who lives lives happily ever after...we hope.

RobinHood3000
12-30-2005, 06:41 PM
Kinda funny that instead of "Four Weddings and a Funeral," Romeo and Juliet is Four Funerals (assuming Romeo and Juliet are buried/mourned as one) and a Wedding. At least, I always thought so.

aequitas
12-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Hah...*collective groan*

Interesting. I never thought of that.

Though, really, it should be five funerals, since the play's appeal died once Mercutio did.

Just kidding...