PDA

View Full Version : Television

Rotty1021
10-06-2003, 08:36 PM
Does anybody here watch any TV? I hardly watch any, except for 7th Heaven on Monday nights and Jeopardy! in the evenings. It seems that I am too busy to be engaged in the frivolities of television, in addition to the fact that much of TV is deluged with the reality stuff; plus, nothing seems to appease my intellect. I'm not saying TV is bad, but I only like the few things that I watch. How about you?

KLO
10-06-2003, 10:05 PM
Hi, Rotty. I don't watch much television either. Mostly, I watch PBS. I love Antiques Roadshow, Ken Burns' American Stories, American Masters, Nature, Nova, and the Masterpiece Theater programs. Other than PBS, I only occasionally watch a football game on TV, like when the Cowboys play or when South Carolina plays on the weekend. That's about it--the rest of the time I am grading or reading. :)

AbdoRinbo
10-07-2003, 12:49 AM
Let's see . . . 'Seinfeld', 'The Simpsons', 'Curb Your Enthusiasm', 'The Family Guy', 'Dragon Ball Z', 'Ken Burns ____x', &c. There is plenty to be gained from television.

den
10-07-2003, 04:23 AM
Cost of new book: $24.00

Cost of decent tv: $700

Cost of not wanting/needing to watch tv: Priceless.

AbdoRinbo
10-07-2003, 05:00 AM
Cost of new book: $24.00

Cost of one episode of 'Seinfeld': absolutely free.

Cost of decent tv: $700

Cost of all the books I own: $4,000+ (American dollars)

Cost of not wanting/needing to watch tv: Priceless.

Cost of not wanting/needing to feign Bohemianism: Priceless! :rolleyes: ;)

den
10-07-2003, 05:23 AM
Cost of one month cable in Canada: $36.00

Cost of enduring one American sit com episode: 500 million brain cells.

Cost of all the books I own: no idea, some are irreplaceable.

Cost of being humble modest minimalist who can travel the world often: Priceless.

Munro
10-07-2003, 07:02 AM

Cost of being humble modest minimalist who can travel the world often: Priceless.

I value my cable television, for I am nostalgic when it comes to TV shows I grew up with, and I enjoy occasional lazy days that revolve around crap on the box. And as long as I know it's crap, it's alright, as far as I see. Therefore, for the much needed idleness that it allows me, and the revisiting of my childhood I value by watching 'Dragon Ball Z', 'He-Man and the Masters of the Universe', 'Dr Who' and 'The Simpsons', I'd gladly pay $A40 a month for it. Besides that, I love the quality of British comedy like Monty Python, 'Fawlty Towers', 'Dad's Army', 'Black Books', and more recently 'The Office'.

I buy books compulsively, but always with a vague intention of reading them. My dad always wonders why I spend all my pay mostly on books and albums, but I love them both so much, and like you implied, den, the value of books are priceless to me.

I kind of hope one day to become the humble modest minimalist who travels the world that den mentioned. Maybe it's where my education is taking me (to poverty ;) ). Not only do I find the idea charming and romantic, but I think that the lifestyle would suit my personality and my ambitions as well.

By the way, I see you have that ****ty Master Card ad in Canada, too. To have seen that ad, you must have watched some television, right? :)

AbdoRinbo
10-07-2003, 01:23 PM

Cost of everything in Canada in comparison to America: +20%

Number of brain cells your body regenerates everyday: 800 million [citing the Salk Institute in La Jolla, Calif].

The value of a character like George Castanza: priceless!

Cost of being a touristy aristocrat: your soul. :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Annie
10-07-2003, 03:25 PM
I'm not in the states anymore, but in Scotland we get many US programmes. The price of Sky satellite telly - Ģ40 a month - about $65 US. I watch the History channel (many of the same shows as US), Discovery, Adventure, Biography, National Geographic, CNN and BBC Scotland.... I miss PBS though. My Scottish husband is fascinated by the Civil War and knows more about it than most Americans - he also owns the Ken Burns series. I occasionally like to watch tv for mindless entertainment.

Rotty1021
10-07-2003, 03:34 PM
Books=priceless

TV= worthless

Koa
10-07-2003, 03:34 PM
I don't watch much tv either, generally because I'm busy but lately even when I have time to spare I usually don't watch tv anyway...I just find myself at the computer without realising ;) Sometimes I like to watch crap aimlessly, looking for the crappiest things out there (like pathetic fake talk shows that pretend to be true, or magicians that want to predict your future or sell you the lucky lotto numbers... :D :D :D ), but even that is not too often (except in some periods, but then it gets boring quickly...)

What I usually watch is The Simpsons (we are a couple of series late here eheh), an Italian show I like, and the news...I can't seem to be able to do without the news, if I don't watch them for a few days I feel out of the world... I occasionally watch other things I'm interested in...and I always turn on the tv (usually on music channels, just ot be disappointed) when I cook or eat.

Shea
10-08-2003, 08:24 AM
- he also owns the Ken Burns series.

He "owns" it?! Are you just being silly? I love that program, the other night I watched the documentary about the first car trip coast to coast in 1903. It was very well done, they even got Tom Hanks to narrate the letters.

Other than PBS I don't get into TV very much. If it wasn't for my husband, I would have one at all. But occasionally, just because we're newly weds and always want to do things together, I'll watch the Simpsons with him. I never saw it before because my parents would allow me to. Then when I got old enough I wasn't interested.

If I watch anything, it's usually movies.

Annie
10-08-2003, 02:12 PM
- he also owns the Ken Burns series.

He "owns" it?! Are you just being silly? I love that program, the other night I watched the documentary about the first car trip coast to coast in 1903. It was very well done, they even got Tom Hanks to narrate the letters.

Oops, sorry. Poor choice of words. He purchased the set of videos.

Shea
10-09-2003, 08:18 AM
oh! That makes more sense! :D :D I can see why though, they're a great series!

Demona
10-09-2003, 11:01 AM
be it even free of charge i wouldn`t watch it...and that is exactly what i`m doing now: there is just nothing to watch. there is one exeption, though - news. but even this can be changed: it can be replaced by the internet/papers.

Annie
10-09-2003, 11:39 AM
Books=priceless

TV= worthless

All books are not priceless - many are, but many are pure trash.
All TV isn't worthless, much of it is. But if you are interested in, say, other cultures and landscapes you can certainly read a book and look at photos. But actually seeing it on film gives things a new perspective. If you're curious about whitewater rafting in Chili, books and photos will never give you the full picture. You can read about a political figure and how charismatic they were, but without film you will never fully understand. I won't even mention the news.......

Demona
10-09-2003, 12:58 PM
<...>But if you are interested in, say, other cultures and landscapes you can certainly read a book and look at photos. But actually seeing it on film gives things a new perspective. <...>

better then just go there :D

Annie
10-09-2003, 01:19 PM
<...>But if you are interested in, say, other cultures and landscapes you can certainly read a book and look at photos. But actually seeing it on film gives things a new perspective. <...>

better then just go there :D

;) no problem. I'll just take my lottery winnings and book a tour around the world! Anyone care to join me? :D

Demona
10-09-2003, 02:03 PM
no problem. I'll just take my lottery winnings and book a tour around the world! Anyone care to join me?

with pleasure :D
*where is that stupid suitcase???!*

fayefaye
10-10-2003, 07:01 AM
Let's see . . . 'Seinfeld', 'The Simpsons', 'Curb Your Enthusiasm', 'The Family Guy', 'Dragon Ball Z', 'Ken Burns ____x', &c. There is plenty to be gained from television.

THEY STILL HAVE THE FAMILY GUY IN AMERICA???!!! here in australia, it's not longer on! cry cry that's the cartoon with the talking dog and megalomaniac baby, right?

sigghhh... tv here has taken a REAL turn for the worse, namely in the form of reality tv. I HATE REALITY TV. if i wanted reality, i wouldn't watch tv now would i? *pause to allow violent tendencies towards tv execs to subside* there's hardly anything to watch anymore, so i don't watch tv that much anymore. THEY NO LONGER SHOW SEINFELD EITHER. replaced by jamie oliver. i can't cook, so i don't care to watch someone else doing it. unless i want to whet my appetite whilst waiting for pizza to arrive.

anyway, there is a lot to be gained from tv, but only good shows, not the standard trash they have on now. also, is it just me, or has the simpsons gotten worse in the last couple of years? the older ones (after the really crappy original ones and before they ran out of ideas) are just classic, but the newer ones lack the satire, wit and plot that made the simpsons so great before.

the tv i watch now is basically the simpsons, whatever i have on DVD, Friends (yes, that shows been dead for ages, but i started watching it when i was ten, and now it's just habitual to watch it), 3rd rock from the sun, futurama.. that's pretty much it. i watch becker sometimes because there's nothing else on, but it's not funny.

Koa
10-11-2003, 04:52 PM
Reality shows lol. That's far too crappy even for me.

Sadly lately I have been too busy even for the Simpsons sometimes... And we don't get a lot of stuff you have (what's Seinfeld) or we have it under another name: a friend from England told me for ages about Family Guy and only when he showed me a site I realised I knew it but we juat call it something like 'the Griffins'.. It wasn't around for long tho. And I'm the only person I know that doesn't watch Friends :)

AbdoRinbo
10-19-2003, 02:42 AM
What is this obsession people have with books? They put them in their houses like they're trophies. What do you need it after you've read it?

Munro
10-19-2003, 03:13 AM
Another 'Seinfeld' reference, hehe, I liked that episode. I can't say I agree with him in that routine, though. Books are very important to me to keep after reading them. They are trophies, they are comforting, and they add character to my otherwise bare and sullen bed room.
Also, I intend to re-read most of my collection. In fact, that's what it is, a collection. I'm becoming more and more of a collection freak thanks to the support of my part-time income, not only books but albums and DVDs.

den
10-19-2003, 07:11 AM
Hmm, and you make fun of me `cause I'm with bookcrossing.com and give away many books during the year, :P even mailing one to a friend in the Czech Republic, this will be the farthest I've sent a book so far. Serendipity is a lovely thing.

However, ,for instance, I will not give away a 1952 first edition printing (hardcover) Maugham book. It's very special for sentimental reasons and I will read it many times in my life.

The hell with trophies, someday I hope to have library floor to ceiling with my old books and they can lock me away in it. :D

What is this obsession people have with books? They put them in their houses like they're trophies. What do you need it after you've read it?

den
10-19-2003, 07:25 AM
:oops: hijack... to get back to television... I admit I have a tv and cable, and I follow a few shows that I think are noteworthy...

Trailer Park Boys for mindless comic relief on Stunday nights. I've met Julian, and Bubbles, man he's a great singer too. I have special place in my heart for Halifax, Nova Scotia where it's filmed.

Some Brit com is good, Keeping Up Appearances and Some Mothers Do Have `Em...

Oz if I have nothing better to do on a Friday night. The writing's not as good as it was in first season tho'. :(

Most Thursdays I watch the latest Survivor Pearl Islands because Rupert better damn win. ;) He'll get a gig from it for sure.

I watch PBS and TVOntario for their hstorical stuff. A&E has some great biographies. Showcase and Bravo are two other channels I watch.

No I don't like The Simpsons, Seinfeld, Friends et al... American comedy to me is very bland and predictable. :rolleyes:

I know a few L.A. based writers, producers and music guys, so I watch their shows now and then for that reason: Third Watch, NYPD and the CSI series...

Munro
10-19-2003, 07:46 AM
Some Brit com is good, Keeping Up Appearances and Some Mothers Do Have `Em...

No I don't like The Simpsons, Seinfeld, Friends et al... American comedy to me is very bland and predictable. :rolleyes:

I can't sit through a full episode of Friends, but I've grown up with 'the Simpsons' (although these last few seasons just aren't that funny), and I like 'Seinfeld' and 'Frasier'. I love 'South Park', too, so outrageous, so disgusting. Nothing else is even worth mentioning, which is funny, because there are so many I haven't mentioned.

British comedy, and television, is fantastic. I laughed all the way through 'Keeping Up Appearances' (my family in England are so absurdly like that woman, wossname...), but 'Fawlty Towers' and 'Monty Python' are my absolute favourites, and sketch comedy hasn't come near as good ever since those fellows.

The only Canadian show I know is 'Arghh, It's the Mr. Hell Show', which was funny from what I remember, but I didn't get round to watching it regularly. Of course, it was on our special broadcaster, because the main commercial channels wanted 'Everyone Loves Raymond' or 'Sex and the City' or some crap there in prime time.

den
10-19-2003, 08:08 AM
Her name is Hyacinth Bucket, pronounced bouquet of course ;)

Great Canadian'TM shows are (or were)

Kids in the Hall (Scott Thompson, Dave Foley... and of course the music was of the now defunct Shadowy Men from a Shadowy Planet, lead guy Reid Diamond died of cancer at age 42 ) :(

SCTV

This Hour Has 22 Minutes

to name a few...

AbdoRinbo
10-19-2003, 01:22 PM
I'll be damned if you're gonna sit there and insult 'Seinfeld'.

den
10-19-2003, 08:09 PM
We've been through this already my dear, but damn away :D :P ;)

I'll be damned if you're gonna sit there and insult 'Seinfeld'.

AbdoRinbo
10-20-2003, 03:58 AM
I'm not saying anything. If you've got something against 'Seinfeld', then you've got something against YOURSELF!

Isagel
10-20-2003, 06:06 AM
South park, whenever I get the chance.
CSI once every week.

And any tv program about gardening. Donīt know why. They are boring. But somehow they take away all the stress from work. People in ugly clothes discussing rose bushes and where to plant dahlias. Hedges being cut inte silly shapes somewhere in England. Mmmm. All the excitment I need during workdays.

I see alot of movies. all kinds of them. Last one was "Ichi the killer". Japanese ultra violence-splatter movie. Absolutly tasteless. I had a great time. Next week Iīm going to see "Full metal yakuza" by the same director. I also like classic movies like Casablanca and Breakfast at Tiffanys.

AbdoRinbo
10-20-2003, 05:41 PM
What is 'Full Metal Yakuza'? Is that supposed to be a parody of the Stanley Kubrick film?

Isagel
10-21-2003, 03:57 AM
Probably just a wordgame in the title. From what Iīve heard itīs a bit like robocop. With katana. Canīt go wrong with a katana :-).

Ickmeister
10-23-2003, 01:05 AM
well, I read most of page one then skipped here, so have\does any watch Trigun? It is my favorite (I watch enough tv to have a favorite) tv show, It has Christian values set in it. They play it now on cartoon network at either 12:00 AM or 3:00 AM Central time in Adult Swim

Munro
10-23-2003, 03:53 AM
well, I read most of page one then skipped here, so have\does any watch Trigun? It is my favorite (I watch enough tv to have a favorite) tv show, It has Christian values set in it. They play it now on cartoon network at either 12:00 AM or 3:00 AM Central time in Adult Swim

'Space Ghost Coast to Coast' disturbs me. Such a strange show, with a strange atmosphere. And those Japanese cartoons afterwards, too, are strange, I find them quite dark and sad. Maybe it's because I associate watching them with the quiet, loneliness of a Saturday night in.

Sindhu
10-23-2003, 04:42 AM
Genuinely puzzled-Didn't you consider the possibility of wanting to reread? :rolleyes:
And back on topic, I watch Quite a lot of TV, and I LOVE Friends, I even have the whole series taped and rewatch them regularly!

Koa
10-25-2003, 12:46 PM
I think I'm the only one in the world who has never watched Friends... I don't know why, I just never did (I think I saw some short bits but they didn't stick in my mind). I had a friend that everytime we talked about tv came out with 'oh but...right, you're the one who doesn't watch Friends';)

Koa
10-25-2003, 04:09 PM
And oh...i found out...

I saw Seinfeld! In England! Just i couldn't remember it as it didn't stick in my mind particularly as all I watched there is in my mind like a weird mix of american comedies which I understood generally less than a half of (yeah my reading and writing of English can seem ok, but when it's about speaking and understanding...well, forget it)

AbdoRinbo
10-25-2003, 09:50 PM
Excellen-tay! :D

fayefaye
10-25-2003, 10:01 PM
Genuinely puzzled-Didn't you consider the possibility of wanting to reread? roll
And back on topic, I watch Quite a lot of TV, and I LOVE Friends, I even have the whole series taped and rewatch them regularly!

It's a Seinfeld quote. ) I can't believe you have the whole series on tape! that's the sort of thing i'd do as a kid! now I just watch it from habit. It's weird if I don't .. like, wait a sec, there's something not quite right here.. I"m missing Friends. *goes to turn on tv* it's hardly funny anymore though. the show's so tired and old I actually wish they'd just end it.

AbdoRinbo
10-25-2003, 10:07 PM
'Friends' is a 'Seinfeld' clone. A poor one at that . . .

den
10-25-2003, 10:28 PM
Heh, yeah, and `clone' operative word here.. :P

fayefaye
10-25-2003, 10:31 PM

Yes, but a substitute for the deprived.

AbdoRinbo
10-25-2003, 10:36 PM
It's garbage.

fayefaye
10-25-2003, 10:43 PM
true.

Sindhu
10-26-2003, 12:35 AM
Genuinely puzzled-Didn't you consider the possibility of wanting to reread? :rolleyes:

It's a Seinfeld quote. :)
Oh! :rolleyes: Well, I don't have a clue as to what Seinfield is :oops: (except that it is/was a tv show, which I gathered from the forumhere) so :oops: again!

Munro
10-26-2003, 01:32 AM
that's the sort of thing i'd do as a kid! now I just watch it from habit. It's weird if I don't .. like, wait a sec, there's something not quite right here.. I"m missing Friends. *goes to turn on tv* it's hardly funny anymore though. the show's so tired and old I actually wish they'd just end it.

As sad as I was when I watched the last episodes, 'Seinfeld' did the right thing by ending the show in it's prime, while it was still funny and popular. Whenever I will think back on it in decades to come, my memory of the show will be unstained as well as fond.

Unlike 'Friends', 'Seinfeld' didn't need endless babies, marriages, divorces, make-ups, break-ups and loads of sex talk to keep its audience interested. In fact, nothing much happened at all (which is part of it's charm).

fayefaye
10-26-2003, 08:16 AM
hey, i am not, nor would i EVER diss seinfeld. you don't need to sing it's praises to me. i love that show. in amongst all the other crap on tv, i'm just saying i watch friends. it's not like i actually think it's good. it's just habitual. sometimes it's hard to break bad habits, y'know? you're definately right though. friends should have ended years ago if it had any sense of dignity at all. at least you can respect that about seinfeld's leaving us. i was so upset at first, oops but then it's like, 'well at least they didn't hang around for ages having run out of ideas' oh,but a lot of sitcoms are seinfeld try-hards, not just friends. have you noticed how much the simpsons have gotten old and run out of ideas? i think it's time to end it (not that i don't love the simpsons. just that it' s old now.)

Koa
10-26-2003, 08:28 AM
Aww no it would kill me... I'm talking of the Simpsons. Some of the lates stuff is really crap, they've evidently run out of ideas, but I can't live without them. We are a couple of seasons late here tho, in the meantime they broadcast old episodes over and over again...I think I've seen some of them 4 or 5 times...

A series that went on far too long was X-files. I used to watch it until it was clear they were really struggling to invent something new... They should have stopped it earlier. I stopped watching it anyway.

fayefaye
10-26-2003, 08:31 AM
that's all too true. i'm sick of the simpsons, but don't know what i'd do without it. study perhaps. wink ah, well, i've grown simpsons-dependent.

AbdoRinbo
10-26-2003, 03:25 PM
As sloegin pointed out, Thomas Pynchon will be making a guest-appearance on 'The Simpsons'. That's f*cking novel, right there. 'Seinfeld' can't even compete with that. But, you know, that's just a one time thing; in the long rung, 'Seinfeld' will always be a step above the rest. ;)

fayefaye
10-30-2003, 06:16 AM
a big step.