PDA

View Full Version : Science As The Newest Religion

starrwriter
11-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Believe it or not, I understood Einstein's theory of special relativity when I was a teenager. I simply read Einstein's own non-mathematical explanation and got it almost immediately (as counter-intuitive as some parts are.)

But his theory of general relativity was a different matter. Much more complicated and dependent upon mathematics to grasp. I tried to teach myself calculus, but that didn't help as much as I hoped.

After decades of struggling in the dark, I finally discovered the writings of two scientists who shed light on general relativity for the mathematically impaired.

I learned from theoretical physicist John Wheeler that there are no straight lines in the universe. Lines are arcs of geodesics, like the curved lines of longitude and latitude on the sphere of the earth. Even deep space, light years from the nearest star, is slightly curved.

MIT professor and theoretical physicist Alan Guth invented this apothegm:
Curved space tells matter how to move. Matter tells space how to curve.

Voila! General relativity explained without resorting to arcane mathematics.

Over the years I also developed a fascination with quantum mechanics, the other revolutionary breakthrough in modern physics. I was disappointed to learn that Einstein never accepted the validity of quantum mechanics, arguing that "God doesn't play dice" in reference to the uncertainty principle. Einstein has been proven wrong. Quantum mechanics is the most verified theory in the history of science. At the quantum level reality is more bizarre than anyone previously imagined.

Einstein didn't disprove Newtonian laws, he merely showed they only applied in limited ways. In truth Einstein and Newton had very similar outlooks regarding the nature of reality. Both were blinded by religious considerations.

According to a televised biography, Newton was not always the quintessential objective scientist as his reputation indicates. Without any scientific evidence, he believed the Biblical claim that the world would end in Armageddon, even calculating the date as 2060. He also engaged in alchemy experiments when reputable scientists considered alchemy an occult superstition. Newton concealed his alchemy work, rightfully fearing it would descredit his discoveries in phyics. He nearly abandoned his theory of gravity because the Church considered spooky "action at a distance" a form of blasphemy.

All of this shows that even the greatest scientific minds are prone to error due to very unscientific influences like religion and superstition. In a sense science has become the newest religion, but with a much more rigorous set of rules than revealed religion. "God told the prophet" does not qualify as scientific proof.

Avalive
11-23-2005, 01:47 PM
Let's say scientists are also humans. But science is always divine.