PDA

View Full Version : Gankutsuo: Cavern King

wasashu
11-18-2005, 06:00 PM
There was one thing I didn't really like in the entire book, and that was the ending. (I read the abridged version.) It was a good ending, it's just that I felt I was left hanging. Maybe it's because I'm going to miss the Count and his ever so proud presence~
But I have a question, is there a sequal for the book Dumas wrote? Other than that, I have to agree with the other reviews, this book was a real page turner, and at times I honestly would not want to put the book down!

I must confess, the first reason I was drawn to read this book was beacuse I saw a recent anime version of the book called, "Gankutsuo: Cavern King" which translates to, "The Count of Monte Cristo". I said to myself, I want to finish reading the book first and then watch this anime (which I haven't watched yet). So that was my first motivation; but the thing is, the anime begins where Albert and Franz are visting Rome (the chapter entitled "Roman Bandits") and the movie/series is 24 episodes long.

related stuffs:
characters (http://www.gankutsuou.com/world/index.html) (in Japanese)
gankutsuo cosplayer (http://xxstigmaxx.fc2web.com/5-0710-R6.JPG)
If you want more info, just drop me a reply!

boxistat
11-23-2005, 07:49 PM
I don't agree about the ending, I thought it was perfect with no need for a sequel :) Although if he wrote one, I certainly wouldn't mind reading it.

I've read many abridged versions and the unabridged version (I have far too much time on my hands), and in my opinion, they have all been abridged well enough for me to say that you are not missing out on much. It's just great for those extra tid bits and backstory of some of the characters.

I watched the Gankutsuou anime after I've read the book. If you haven't already seen it, be prepared for the same reaction you might have when you watch the movie. I thought the anime and movie were good by themselves, but simply can't compare to novel.

But if you're a fan of anime and Count of Monte Cristo, you should definately watch it. Just don't expect too much. It's fun to see their sort of japanesey anime-ish stlye approach to the story. It does start in Rome, but that just naturally means they'll do flashbacks. The story has been changed quite a bit for the sake of time (much like the movie) but it's not too bad. :)

wasashu
12-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Awesome! You saw the anime too? I'm waiting till Christmas when I get some moolah and then I could go out and buy the first volume @w@ I must agree with you on the novel version being waaaay better than any movie/show because if it there were a movie that was going to stay true to the book, then it would be something like the lord of the rings were they would make 3 movies just off of the same book. (or something like that...a trilogy!)
Haha^^ You know after reading the ending of the book again, I was like, the ending pretty much suits the whole story...."Wait and hope!"

Nycki
12-20-2005, 05:02 AM
I believe that "Wait and hope" is great advise for all of us as we come across trouble in our lives....gotta be better than panicing!

:-)

Dark Lord
12-20-2005, 05:17 AM
I watched the whole anime ( Gankutsuou ) i really liked it so , but still i didn't read the noval or watch the movie , i love when they make anime out of a noval , Did u see The Victorian Romance Emma , i enjoyed it even if it wasn't based on anovel ;)

wasashu
12-26-2005, 03:54 AM
nice ^_~ you're a lucky one to have watched the anime TwT, but I haven't seen the The Victorian Romance Emma...is it a new release?

Dark Lord
12-26-2005, 11:41 AM
its i think 2005 series, i completed watching it and i really thinks Emma is a grand anime , well if u want to download it here is the thread
http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/569.html
or wanna the official site , there u go
http://www.emma-victorian.com/ ;)

samowan
11-16-2006, 05:17 PM
i think gankutsuou is a good version,it is the first and only anime i ever watched but i like so much. i mean, you can find many characters in gankutsuo ,not as in movies(i watched caviezels and chamberlains). and i think the story begins after escape and you can't see these parts clear in movies.japans made a good version of monte cristo...

ElissaDido
05-17-2007, 02:20 PM
I agree with everybody here. I've watched Gankutsuou and admittedly, it's very good though as some of you have said, it's better to treat the anime and novel differently.

Although I find the anime making the characters a bit too cold hearted. For example, Villefort is portrayed as apathetic towards his family wherein in the novel he felt something when Valentine 'died'. Also the Count himself seems to be a lot colder than in the novel. But still good though.

It seems to me that in the anime, Mercedes is the one and only love of Edmond... the letter in the last ep more or less convinced me of that. Unlike in the novel where he found love in Haydee. Anyways, I liked the novel more. xD