PDA

View Full Version : Quick Q

subterranean
11-18-2005, 04:42 AM
Suppose I'm working on my own personal website and I want to include the online text of some books from, let say Project Gutenberg. Can I just mention the source (and the website address)? Or do I also need to include all those legal terms stated in the text/site?
Thank you
Sub

Jay
11-21-2005, 01:19 PM
In my opinion if you put a link to the original Project Gutenberg site where the file can be found it's good enough. I might want to put a notice somewhere on your site to make sure whoever reads your site knows that they might be reading copyrighted material (if you're thinking PG Australia kinda PG)... yeah, to put it less messy... make sure there's alink back to the source and let people know (if applies) there might be some material that might still be copyrighted in some countries.

Admin
11-22-2005, 11:00 AM
Project Gutenberg has odd rules.

If you mention them as the source you have to follow all their licensing things.

If you remove all mention of them you can do whatever you want with the text.

subterranean
11-22-2005, 08:33 PM
Chris, you don't put any source for any online texts in this site, right?

Admin
11-22-2005, 11:02 PM
Nope, the original source for most in Gutenberg, but I don't want to have to include all the legal rigamarole, so I keep it off.

subterranean
11-23-2005, 08:32 PM
O ok. I suppose it's ok not to include all those law clauses....

Thanks

baddad
11-29-2005, 12:07 AM
The internet is pretty free-wheeling, with little chance of legal wrangles cropping up with one's own personal webpage. However, as standard " Cover Your Own Butt" behaviour, having the 'legalese' in place is better than not. You can have a link on your page available for anyone who cares to read the legal clauses, and those who do not wish to, won't. I do this as standard procedure on a webpage. "Cover Thy A**" is rule #1 in today's litigious world. But hey, I'm quite cynical................

Admin
11-29-2005, 10:00 AM
baddad in general what you say is right, but you either did not read or do not fully understand Project Gutenberg's licensing agreement. Its backwards of what people normally do, so it can be confusing.

baddad
11-29-2005, 07:07 PM
oh....uh....yeah, reading leads to comprehension, right?? I read that somewhere. My bad, I've not bothered to read the 'G' spots legalese. But I was just spewing in general......verbal diahrrea...............

Thanks for the spanking Chris.............

Admin
11-29-2005, 09:51 PM
most people end reading it twice, cause it basically says "Do whatever you want, just don't put our name on it".