PDA

View Full Version : And now for something completely different (Cacoethes Scribendi)

Countess
11-17-2005, 12:07 PM
This came out of me last night – I say ‘came out of me’ because I never plan what I am going to write beforehand, though I have a loose idea or two. Oftentimes, however, these loose ideas are usurped in the making and what comes out is something completely different, yet fresh. Perhaps you have the same experience with your art – I know not, but here it is:

“I know you are sick and thus unable to construct a healthy sentence - much less a well-formed letter - but as I have a habit of writing – a very bad habit (I think there is even a name for this compulsion - Cacoethes scribendi) – I ask you to bear with me as I scribe to you once more. In fact, please do not feel obliged in any way to respond une-pour-une; it will more than suffice me to know that you have simply read what I have written.
All writers desire to be read; in fact, it can be said that it is their singular yearning, the purpose behind the very act itself. They wish to express themselves and to have another person comprehend them, and if they are frustrated in their intention they will simply cease writing entirely. Unfortunately, it is rather toxic to an author to quit his art, for then he is cut off from the rest of humanity, and he begins to accumulate – at least internally – circular thoughts and emotions that begin and end in themselves. This hyperconsciousness – or perhaps it is merely a sensitivity to consciousness – can grow to such a disproportionate level that it drives a man mad. A mad writer is an author who has been poisoned by his own work. Left unexpressed in its concentrated form, the self loses its structure, and chaos erupts in the soul.
But, as usual, I digress (digression is my cardinal sin I have you know. I will always finish a thought, though it may take me two hours to get back around to it.)”

Outlander
11-17-2005, 03:03 PM
Understandable -

Just this morning, I wrote a Line of letters in my mind.
Conversations to never be had, an exchange of nothing yet in its
nothingness it possesed an eloquence that i've never seen come out of me.
As I continued my daily chores, it slipped away. Bits and pieces linger giving just a slight glimpse of what once held my undivided attention.

They bother me now. Had I the time to sit and get them under my pen, my
mind would be clear, and the cigarette to follow - delectable. :blush:

Yes, I get a post writing rush. (I'm not proud, or ashamed, I just am)

That having not been the course of the day, my mind is scattered.

And this slight exchange, increasingly difficult.

OutLander

Countess
11-17-2005, 05:01 PM
Thank you for your response. I couldn't have captured the process any better than how you have stated it.

>Just this morning, I wrote a Line of letters in my mind.
Conversations to never be had, an exchange of nothing yet in its
nothingness it possesed an eloquence that i've never seen come out of me.

Thank-God I am not the only person to suffer from fleeting thoughts, or to have an eloquent stream-of-consciousness burst forth but be too slow to capture it.

>As I continued my daily chores, it slipped away. Bits and pieces linger giving just a slight glimpse of what once held my undivided attention.

Chores suck and work sucks more because it distracts, but then what I think is important and what the world thinks is important is radically different.

>They bother me now. Had I the time to sit and get them under my pen, my
mind would be clear, and the cigarette to follow - delectable.

Delectable or decadent? I'm a old soul whose luxury is the occasional clonopin / ambien to send me soaring to sleep. Sleep has always been a problem for me, or rather, the lack of it.

>Yes, I get a post writing rush. (I'm not proud, or ashamed, I just am)

Yes! Yes! Isn't it so exciting? And do you read it over and over and relish it, as if it were a fine woman (for you; I am a woman so that is straight out - ha!ha!)?

It is not so much a rush for me as it is a euphoria - I feel elated, even when the subject matter is, well, morbid. That is a great irony to be so pleased about one's suffering on paper.

>That having not been the course of the day, my mind is scattered.

I'm sorry. I wish for your sake you'd captured it.

>And this slight exchange, increasingly difficult.

Don't let it be. No fear. Let go / let flow.

Countess