PDA

View Full Version : occupation-demographic profile of the board part 2

fayefaye
10-04-2003, 05:49 AM
just out of curiosity, what're y'all doing with ur lives? what r u studying/ working as?

KLO
10-04-2003, 05:46 PM
I have a Ph.D. in American Literature, and I am currently working part-time at three different colleges, teaching everything from composition to literature to technical writing. However, I am working very hard to get a full-time, hopefully tenure-track, position at a college/university here in the US. And, since I am a fairly recent graduate, I am still in the process of revising my dissertation into 3 book manuscripts! :rolleyes:

Rotty1021
10-04-2003, 06:09 PM
What was your dissertation on?

KLO
10-04-2003, 06:18 PM
My dissertation was on the use of Native American characters in works by white, canonical, American authors. I began with a short survey of authors prior to the 20th century (Rowlandson, Cooper, Thoreau), then had a chapter each on Robert Penn Warren, Willa Cather, and William Faulkner, and I ended with another survey of more contemporary authors, both white and non-white (McMurtry, Cormac McCarthy, Toni Morrison, Alice Walker).

Rotty1021
10-04-2003, 07:00 PM
Sounds cool. I bet it's fun, though taxing at times, to write about great literature using analytical skills.

KLO
10-04-2003, 07:26 PM
I love what I do! And the more I read, the more I find that I want to read, you know?

Rotty1021
10-04-2003, 08:04 PM
...And the more I read, the more I find that I want to read, you know?

I can assimilate with that statement quite well. There's nothing like being washed down by the beauty of the English language, and then wanting more of it. In fact, I tell family members that this and the internet are my addictions. :D

ihrocks
10-06-2003, 08:44 PM
It's hard to explain what I do, but I work for consulting firm. Yes, it's often as boring as it sounds. 8)

ihrocks

AbdoRinbo
10-07-2003, 02:32 AM
We could do perfectly without literary critics and scholars.

Munro
10-07-2003, 07:09 AM
We could do perfectly without literary critics and scholars.

I wonder if it is rare in the world to have an intellectual who distrusts other intellectuals. The idea makes sense, but my exile from an educated group of people bars me from knowing if it is normal let alone regular. All I know is that George Orwell was like that, and for some reason, I get the feeling that more of them are needed.

Jay
10-07-2003, 11:51 AM
Point taken Munro.
Back to the original topic, I'm an English Language and Literature first year B.A. student.

AbdoRinbo
10-07-2003, 01:28 PM
Heh, Jay's your babysitter, Munro. :D :D :D

Koa
10-07-2003, 03:36 PM
Just for the record, I'm a University student (incase you're wondering, I study Languages and Literatures, English as first language, Russian as second, probably French as third netx year).

Plus I work on crappy jobs every now and then for rather short periods.

Jay
10-08-2003, 07:07 AM
Hey, I'm NO ONE'S babysitter, I just happen to agree with certain guys. Is that a bad thing? So SUE me, kill me or whatever you'd like... Always pleasure talking with you Abdo :D (and sorry if I miss-spell your name, I've always had little problems with "b" and "d" :( ...).

Shea
10-08-2003, 08:34 AM
I am an English Lit student, but I'm also thinking about taking French so I can read Hugo and Dumas in the original. Also because the only French lit classes here only read in French, which rather dissappointed me. One the side, I play a harp.

DumbLikeAPoet
10-08-2003, 11:52 AM
Computer programmer......enough said.

Jonus

AbdoRinbo
10-08-2003, 12:16 PM
Hey, I'm NO ONE'S babysitter, I just happen to agree with certain guys. Is that a bad thing? So SUE me, kill me or whatever you'd like... Always pleasure talking with you Abdo :D (and sorry if I miss-spell your name, I've always had little problems with "b" and "d" :( ...).

Can I eat you? :D

Jay
10-09-2003, 03:29 AM
Here, have a piece... ;) :D :D :D

AbdoRinbo
10-09-2003, 04:26 PM
Tastey. :D ;)

Jay
10-10-2003, 04:19 AM
Glad you approve... Wanna have some more? But be warned, not much of brain cells' remaining... if you want any, be sure to hurry!!! ;) :D

fayefaye
10-10-2003, 06:28 AM
riighhtt... i never realised so many of you had cannabalistic tendencies.. scary. D anyway, i decided to add a poll because it seems like everyone here is studying literature. .. which i do not. on the amusing side, it must really torture all of u that i write without capital letters and sumtimes spel rong or rite not grammatically good. Sorry 'bout that! I've had my fun. I won't torture you unnecessarily. i thank u for being too polite to mention it.

Did anyone see that post that's going around other forums about some research done at cambridge that suggests that yuo dnot hvea to wreti wthi lterts in oderr at all bceause yuor mdin losko at teh wrod as a whelo, so as lnog as teh fsrit lttere is terhe, teh rset cna be all otu of oderr. It's actually a lot harder to type like that though, but could you understand it? Once again sorry for the literary torture. D

Jay
10-11-2003, 11:18 AM
well, not really, some words are easy to "identify" for me, but some I still don't know the meaning of... I know about this thing in Czech and I have no problems with that babble... maybe you have to be native speaker to got it at once?