PDA

View Full Version : Pointless

futurelow62
11-08-2005, 12:34 PM
I have just started reading Tale of Two Cities in my English Lit. class. I think Dickens is the worst author in the history of Lit.

Neverland1247
12-21-2005, 09:11 PM
It begins slowly (or so it seems), but after a while, the story catches you up. Let your hatred of Dickens go when you read; it might help you understand more of what he really is saying!

Uhiree
12-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Don't hate it. I admit--it's boring at first, especially with all those profound description and super long sentences, but it'll get better. Appreciate the language and the slight sarcasm used in the book, okay?

Lily Adams
12-08-2006, 01:55 AM
(Oh gosh this is an old thread) I must sound like an echo, but...just be patient with it and read the Sparknotes if you have to. Remember that Mr. Dickens was paid by the word, so he did what I think any other human would do if they were put in that situation. (Plus I believe it was the style of the time to write that way.) Yes, he is quite sarcastic, and that's one of the main reasons why I love Dickens's works. Obviously, Mark Twain and John Steinbeck stand on his shoulders, you know, when it comes to that.

It is a truly magnificent work of literary merit.