PDA

View Full Version : confused

holmesian
11-08-2005, 06:36 AM
i have read some stuff about Holmes that i don't remember reading in the stories. i am mentioning them here. can anyone tell me which of them are correct and what are the sources of that info?

1. holmes was born on 6th January.
2. he was irish.
3. he had an elder brother (apart from Mycroft) called Shennilin who was 10 years senior to holmes.
4. the famous deerstalker was never mentioned in the stories.

Reichenbach
11-20-2005, 04:30 PM
You may want to call me obbsessed, but I've been doing some research for you . . .

1. Correct! Holmes was born on the 6th of January.
http://surrey-shore.freeservers.com/HolmesBday.htm

2. Incorrect. He was NOT Irish. He was however a descendant of country squires.

3.Correct! I have heard it several times through out my searches but have not found the website again, I will post the addy when I find it.

4. Incorrect. The deerstalker WAS mentioned in several of the books. It got out of hand because it was in 'The Hound of the Baskervilles', one of the most famous books. This is why every TV show or film chooses to portray SH wearing it.

Sherlock Holmes
04-18-2007, 10:23 AM
seriously now, what are you talking about? there is no evidence that he has any other siblings apart from Mycroft. and also, the deerstalker was never mentioned in any of the original stories or novels, especially not the Hound of the Baskervilles. it ws only shown in the pictures that were drawn by S. Paget in the Strand magazine.

Tobias Gregson
09-03-2009, 01:29 PM
In at least one story and possibly more, Holmes mentions that he is of French ancestry on his mother's side.

adityasam
08-22-2010, 08:44 AM
I think Sherlock is a "Bohemian"!