PDA

View Full Version : critique fo human nature

angelhorizons
11-07-2005, 05:42 AM
what part of human nature does swift criticise upon each of the peoples that gulliver encounters? why does he choose horses to represent rationality in particular?

jamsta
11-20-2009, 10:42 PM
i think swift's through the use of satire attacks human pride through the scatological elements for example, when he wants to relieve himself like in Lillput and Brobdingnag. i believe he tries to degrade the human by using this aspect of our nature

jamsta
11-20-2009, 10:45 PM
also, i think he uses horses because horses are usually intelligent beings as they represent rationality. hmm...any other ideas why? thats what i think at this point in time.

The Atheist
11-28-2009, 06:42 PM
i think swift's through the use of satire attacks human pride through the scatological elements for example, when he wants to relieve himself like in Lillput and Brobdingnag. i believe he tries to degrade the human by using this aspect of our nature

Wy to pick a four-year-old thread to reply to!

Welcome along.

You're quite right, and i think Swift was too. Ben Elton does much the same thing from an alien perspective. Humans aren't a particularly "nice" species by most independent yardsticks.

also, i think he uses horses because horses are usually intelligent beings as they represent rationality. hmm...any other ideas why? thats what i think at this point in time.

Yep; horses, brave, strong and true.

They represent everything humans aren't. Right down to vegetarian.